• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

logic monkey

A pointer to an array of structs

This topic is 5457 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, say I have a struct called Alien and I make an array of Aliens called GreenGuys. And say I want to make a pointer to say, GreenGuy[2]. I don''t know, maybe I want to pass this specfic GreenGuy to a battle function because he got picked at random as the target. Can I point directly to an array element? Would I even want to? Or are you supposed to make a pointer to the array and use pointer arithmetic to navigate to the element I want? I am just trying to work out the reasoning in my head. My guess is that I can''t just point to a specific element since I think the compiler only cares where the first element and uses pointer arithmetic itself to find the other elements and thats what I would have to do too, right?

Advertisement
No pointers to elements of arrays work fine.

Alien * p = &GreenGuy[2];

I''m not sure what it is that you''re confused about.

quote:
Original post by Anon Mike
No pointers to elements of arrays work fine.

Alien * p = &GreenGuy[2];

I''m not sure what it is that you''re confused about.

I was confused if that was valid and if people write their code like that or did it in a different or better way that I wasn''t thinking of.

For some reason I was thinking I would have to pass a pointer to the array to my function and then navigate to the element I wanted to access while in the function. Which I guess I could also do but its obviously faster to just do it directly. But I wanted to make sure I wasn''t over-looking anything since I am just finally getting a good grasp on pointers.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!