• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DevLiquidKnight

C/C++ future... (not .net)

This topic is 5456 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
To DevLiquidKnight: I''m guessing you can''t reach the page.

http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/

ignore the ", poppet!"

C++0x will update a lot of stuff, mostly with the C++ stndard library. (that''s a standards number. the x means we don''t know what year it''ll happen, yet. the latest C standard is C99. I think C++ is at C++98?)

And C++ has not been unchanging lately either. There have been several "clarifications" from the standards commitee that have changed/fixed things.

C++ The Language
---------------
See the provided link above. It will be updated. Very much so.

The Visual IDE
----------------
Visual C++ will ALSO be updated by Microsoft. Their next release (2004 or 2005) will ship with an updated MFC library as well.

Visual C++ is (still) alive.

"Yeah, I would''ve killed you, but I''m glad I didn''t - the paperwork is a bitch"

From what I''ve seen, C++0x doesn''t have anything interesting that isn''t already in Boost (thus semi-standard already). Well, typedef templates woohoo.. They can''t add anything to C++ since it''s already considered too complex, and they can''t remove anything since they have to stay backwards compatible. So it stays pretty much as it is. Time to move on.

IMHO the "need" to remain backwards compatible is a complete fiction invented for god alone knows what reason, to the detriment of the language''s development.

If the language has breaking changes made to it then compiler vendors will simply offer two modes -- in the same way that they provide switches to pick between C89 and C99.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!