wglAllocateMemoryNV variable questions

Started by
4 comments, last by nitzan 20 years, 8 months ago
What exactly are the read frequency , write frequency and priority variables mean ? What are their range ? I tried messing around with them a bit and sometimes wglAllocateMemoryNV is able to allocate memory and sometimes it cant, although the amount of memory I am trying to allocate is very small (~1mb) and I have a 32mb GF3. I am copying some data (maybe 5% of my total data) to the AGP memory over and over again every frame. The writing is definitely killing my performance. I tried messing around with both the write and read frequency but I could never get the performance to increase, only decrease. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Nitzan
Advertisement
range 0 to 1.

use something like .2, .2 ,.5);

or better ARB_VBO with the lastest video card drivers.
and then you can copy the data to a malloc array the use drawelements and vertex pointer to render your scene,object, or model.

[edited by - BGCJR on August 12, 2003 9:29:21 PM]
Game Core
I have another question which is related, so I''ll just post it here:

For some reason when I go to my video card properties, I see the following:
GeForce 3 TI 200
Bus: AGP (PCI Mode)

What exactly does this mean ? I tried installing the newest drivers for my motherboard (Open AX3S Pro) but the driver installation failed. I also tried installing old and new nvidia drivers and none fixed the problem.

Is this why I am having crappy performance and AGP allocation problems ?

How do I solve it (other then buying a new mobo) ?

Thanks,

Nitzan
Bios Setting? motherboard needs flashing?
Something easy yet difficult. You need to go to bios and look for AGP mode 2x 4x

let me know if this is the case!
Game Core
I had similar problems using wglAllocateMemoryNV, It would allocate memory the first time, but failed from then on. When I fiddled about with the options I got all allocations to work, but my frame rate dropped from 350fps to about 50.
I went back to malloc and it was much better.

p.s. I have a GF3 TI200 64meg. (In case anyone was wondering).

---
"When I''m in command, every mission''s a suicide mission" - Zapp Branigan
---When I'm in command, every mission's a suicide mission!
Make sure you copy in sequence using memcopy (or some faster alternative). And to never read back from AGP (no read-modify-write cycles) since this will kill your performance.

But as BGCJR told you, you should look up ARB_VBO. It''s much cleaner and not vendor specific.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement