Which do you recommend: VS.NET C++ or C#

Started by
7 comments, last by s_cloudx 20 years, 8 months ago
I program in C/++. But I''ve been told that C# also compiles C/++. I would personally buy C++ but my brother seems to be interested in C#. It''s my money but I want to make sure. So, VS.NET C++ or C# ?
--------------------------Sony "Mr. Valdez" ValdezPinoyforum.net Technical EditorPinoyforum.net - the breeding ground of the Filipino Computer Talents
Advertisement
quote:Original post by s_cloudx
But I''ve been told that C# also compiles C/++.

As much as a washing machine can open a jar of pickles.

No.
quote:I would personally buy C++ but my brother seems to be interested in C#. It''s my money but I want to make sure.

There are so many C++ vs C# threads in this forum that it''s not even funny. Use the search feature, or Google to know the pros and cons.
quote:So, VS.NET C++ or C# ?

Why not both? Over here, VS C++ and VS C# both cost 60$ separately. Buy VS.Net for 100$, and you get both, as well as VB and some more junk.

Cédric
quote:Original post by Cedric
There are so many C++ vs C# threads in this forum that it''s not even funny. Use the search feature, or Google to know the pros and cons.

Damn gamedev search feature failed when I tried it before my post. Oh well. Google, fortunately, found hits. My bad for posting before googling. I blame lack of sleep. :-)

quote:So, VS.NET C++ or C# ?

Why not both? Over here, VS C++ and VS C# both cost 60$ separately. Buy VS.Net for 100$, and you get both, as well as VB and some more junk.

I''ve been having trouble finding VS.net here. Only VS C++ and C# so far. I''ll keep trying. Thanks for the tips!
--------------------------Sony "Mr. Valdez" ValdezPinoyforum.net Technical EditorPinoyforum.net - the breeding ground of the Filipino Computer Talents
Be warned!

I looked into this and it would seem our friends as MS pulled out the optimized versions of both compilers in the "professional" stand-alone versions of .NET C++ and C#

to get the optimized versions of the compilers you have to buy the professional suite!

jerks... IMHO
==========================big kid with adult powers==========================
gcc
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
quote:Original post by Choff
I looked into this and it would seem our friends as MS pulled out the optimized versions of both compilers in the "professional" stand-alone versions of .NET C++ and C#

to get the optimized versions of the compilers you have to buy the professional suite!

There are no standalone Pro versions of any of the languages. Theres VC++/VC#/VB.NET Standard, and then there''s VS.NET Professional. Nothing in between.

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Thank you, I stand corrected, I got the brand names mixed up...

But the my point is still valid.

In version 6.0 you could get stand alone C++ and J++, and get the optimized compiler. Now you can't. If you want to write something you intend to sell your almost forced to buy the whole suite.

[edited by - choff on August 13, 2003 10:57:09 AM]
==========================big kid with adult powers==========================
FoxPro.Net is the best.
quote:Original post by Choff If you want to write something you intend to sell your almost forced to buy the whole suite.

If you intend to write something for sales, yo uactually need the MSDN Universal subsription so taht you can make proper testing of the product under various OS versions - I am always amazed when I get software that just does not work on other countries versions for ignorant programmers :-)

And then you can actually get a friend, crate a (small) company and become a MS Certified partner and get all this stuff much cheaper.

But this, then, is an investment. Who said doing something fora living is cheap?

You think VS.NET is expensive? Be happy you dont wanat top repair cars - you need a lot of professional level tools if you want to earn money with this :-)

[edited by - thona on August 13, 2003 11:12:36 AM]
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement