Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AliasNotFound

Modern Compiler Design

Compilers design is an interesting enough subject for me, but the textbook that I have to use for my compiler design class is just killing me. I''m currently studying for my BS in computer science through a distance learning program and they have chosen "Modern Compiler Design" by Dick Grune, et al as the text. I''m sure this is a fine book for someone who has had courses in compiler design before, but for an into class in an undergrad program I think it''s excessive, especially since I''m pretty much on my own. Even the authors state the entire book should not be used in a first course yet I am required to read the entire thing. I''m sure many people will say I should get the "Dragon" book, but unfortunately I don''t have the cash, and my local library doesn''t have it. Jack Crenshaw''s ''Let''s Build a Compiler'' has been pretty helpful, but he doesn''t get heavy into theory and I''m having difficulty bridging the gap between the practical and the theory. Maybe I''m approaching this the wrong way. This is the last course I have to finish before I graduate and it is the first time I''ve felt overwhelmed and I can''t seem to see the forest for the trees.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Look on half.com or eBay for the Dragon Book, although I would even say that it is obscenely verbose at times as well. Another book that I liked which walked through a ton of concepts in programming languages was Essentials of Programming Languages. The first edition has later sections on compilers, while the later editions do not. Your library may have it.