Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inclusion guards...

This topic is 5241 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey! Could anyone tell me why the following inclusion guard isn''t working? //main.cpp
#include <iostream>
#include "int.h"

using namespace std;

void F();

int main()
{
	cout << a << endl;

F();

system("PAUSE");

return 0;
}
//other.cpp
#include <iostream>
#include "int.h"

using namespace std;

void F()
{
	cout << a + 10 << endl;
}
//int.h
#ifndef __TEST2_H__
#define __TEST2_H__

int a = 10;

#endif
I''m using MinGW with GCC 3.2 and compile with the following: g++ -o main *.cpp

You can''t define the global symbol "a" in more than one translation unit. Both translation units are exporting the symbol "a". Two solutions:

1) In the header change the line to "extern int a;" and then in some .cpp file "implement" a with a line something like "int a = 10;".

2) Either declare "a" as static or in an unnamed namespace so each file has its own, unexported, "a".

Also, if I remember correctly, the symbol __TEST2_H__ is reserved for the compiler (as is any symbol starting with a double underscore or an underscore followed by a capital letter), so you should use something else (I like H_MYPREFIX_MYMODULE because H_ isn''t reserved for anything by the standard, H_MYPREFIX is unlikely to be used by anyone else, and identifiers starting with a capital E are reserved by errno.h and probably cerrno)