Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vangelis

Function pointers as members of class

Vangelis    122
I have a class with a function that I'm hoping to use as a dialog callback procedure. But when I try to create a dialog using that function, I get errors like...
error C2664: 'DialogBoxParamA' : cannot convert parameter 4 from 'int (struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)'
 to 'int (__stdcall *)(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)'  
The prototype for the function is
BOOL CALLBACK EditDlgProc(HWND,UINT,WPARAM,LPARAM);  
and I'm attempting to create the dialog (in another member function) by
DialogBox(GetModuleHandle(NULL),MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDD_EDITDLG),mainWindow,EditDlgProc);  
I'm guessing it has to do with how member functions are treated differently that non-member functions and this all involves stdcall. Is there a standard way of getting around this? [edited by - Vangelis on August 12, 2003 11:37:39 PM]

Dobbs    164
Make the function static, then find a way to pass instance-specific information to it (for example, create a mapping from HWND -> dialog class instance).

invective    118
The dreaded pointer to member function question:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/pointers-to-members.html

basically non static member fucntions have an implicit this parameter, so no matter what you do, the function parameter list is not going to match. You have to use a static function.

Choff    122
Why not just pass the dialog, a pointer or reference to the instance you wish to perfrom the call back on?

this is probably pretty safe if the dialog is modal.