• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ape

VC++ and DB

This topic is 6687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

With all this talk of RPG''s everyone''s making, it seems like there ought to be more discussion of database management. How does everyone store their tiled floors? Where do you keep all the stats for the different enemies? I can''t believe everyone is storing all this info in text files. I''d like to know how everyone else goes about the problem of storing their game data. And more specifically, can someone point me to a tutorial of how to manipulate an MS Access database in Visual C++.

Advertisement
Actually, not a bad topic at all.
I know that www.codeguru.com and www.codeproject.com have a lot of good stuff on more "serious" programming, such as databases, so you could look there.
I think database management for high-resource games might be a very good topic to start a discussion on! I think I''ll do some research, it is always useful.

Things like tools ( Access, csv, Excell, SQL Server, MySQL, PostGres ), technology, cost, maintainability, and probably important, speed, are all needing to be considered.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important functions will be disabled from now on.

For client side, you need something small and fast, with a small memory footprint, that requires little or no problem to install on the client computer.

I know that Age of Empires used a database called Paradox (you''ll see Paradox drivers being installed with the default database drivers with Windows).

That''s the only db I know of that was used for a game, though I''m sure there are plenty of games that use a database for client data. But many games do store ALL client data in flat files, or resource files.

As far as if its used for a server, it needs to be robust, stable, fast, and have alot of features. Resource consumption is still an issue, but usually the stability and features provided by the database are more important (you can always upgrade the hardware of the server, but if you choose the wrong database from the beginning, you''re screwed). I''ve heard of Microsoft SQLServer being used for game databases, as well as MySQL for a couple of smaller games out there.

I personally use SQLServer at work for every project, and it rocks, but I can''t say whether it would be ideal for a MMORPG or not.

Clay

Well I''m up for some research, I have to do that anyway for the next project I''m working on. Expect to hear results soonish

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important functions will be disabled from now on.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!