Which is the best MFC book around?

Started by
5 comments, last by gameovercl 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi there! I want to learn MFC in order to create my own level editor for 3D maps (I have read in many places that for GUI-oriented applications MFC is the best choice). Well... my question is, which is the best book on this matter (GUI & MFC). Or mabybe some links? Thanks in advance! PS: Please don''t reply that MFC sucks Cristián Ramírez (GameOverCL) Viña del Mar CHILE
Advertisement
MFC is the best Windows GUI API around so I''d wonder about the person''s sanity if they said it sucked.

The best book I''ve read to start learning MFC is in Ivor Horton''s "Beginning Visual C++ 6". He starts out with a refresher on C++ programming and then gets into Windows programming and finally to MFC (with a little ATL at the end). It''s a pretty easy read that provides lots of examples.

Link to the book on Amazon.com

Hope that helps.

---
K-1 Productions: Come visit us here.
---K-1 Productions: Come visit us here.
also, Programming Windows with MFC Second Edition by Jeff Prosise is extremely good. It doesn''t review c++, but it brings you through everything in MFC (along with COM, OLE, and ActiveX). It brings you through doing everything manually to using all the nice little wizards and tools in VC++. It has plenty of examples that it works you through.

barnes and noble has it,
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2VSMRPPV2Q&isbn=1572316950&itm=3
I disagree. I prefer CBuilder over MFC
quote:Original post by tricona
also, Programming Windows with MFC Second Edition by Jeff Prosise is extremely good. It doesn''t review c++, but it brings you through everything in MFC (along with COM, OLE, and ActiveX). It brings you through doing everything manually to using all the nice little wizards and tools in VC++. It has plenty of examples that it works you through.

barnes and noble has it,
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2VSMRPPV2Q&isbn=1572316950&itm=3

Definitely get this one, I have it and it''s great, it teaches MFC in detail, and it''s very easy to understand if you know C++ quite well.
Tangently I have a question as well:

The Jeff Proise book teaches MFC 6, is that a problem when using MFC 7 and Visual Studio .NET?

"Yeah, I would''ve killed you, but I''m glad I didn''t - the paperwork is a bitch"
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
everything it pretty much the same. i know a few things haven't worked quite right for me in mfc 6, but haven't tried them in 7 yet. the only thing that comes to mind at the moment is CRect:: PntInRect in version 6 doesn't work right (but it's easy enough to determine if a point is in a rectangle yourself).

[edited by - tricona on August 14, 2003 2:20:02 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement