Converting .md2/.md3 models to .ms3d (milkshape)

Started by
2 comments, last by Perferati 20 years, 7 months ago
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone would help me out with info regarding converting .md2/.md3 models to .ms3d (Milkshape3d) format. My engine loads .ms3d files , and since this program (milkshape) can ''import'' .md2/.md3 models and save as .ms3d with ease I figured I could load quake models with ease. The converted model loads and displays fine, but is not textured....how can I save the model in .ms3d format with texture info specified? Any information or sites with information regarding this problem would be *greatly* appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisement
Why don''t you create an md2 and md3 loader in your app. It''s is extremely difficult to export md2 and md3 to ms3d. Especially the animations. And besides, it is a lot faster to render md2 / md3 because they are heavily optimized. ms3d is not.

I would use md2 / md3 for your animated models and ms3d for static models or models that have to have realtime physics (like ragdolls, because ms3d has bones and md2 / md3 does not)

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap Posting
To join: Put these lines in your signature and don''t post crap!

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Find a program or a converter that will be able to change in into another format.
The problem is that the MD2/MD3 format uses vertex keypoint animation while the MS3D format uses skeletal animation. It''s easy to get the vertex keypoints from the skeletal information but almost impossible to get the skeletal information from vertex keypoints. It would probably be easier to write an importer for the two formats. If you really really must use MS3D or you really need that skeletal animation then you will have to import the models and reanimate them yourself.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement