Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheNoob

gametutorials.com?

TheNoob    122
I was looking for some tutorials for learning C++ online and I came across that site. I downloaded some of their tutorials and they were pretty helpful, but I''m not sure if I would learn as much as if I got a book on C++. Could I learn just as much of the basics from their C++ tutorials as I could if I got a book or used this book?

l3mon    128
I haven''t read that book, though I have it somewhere...
Anyway, I''d say a book is more helpful. Their tutorials are pretty good, but the thing is, with a book, you might get a better understanding on how stuff really works.

So my advice is: Go with the book, and when you do your exercises, take a glance at those tutorials. If you read the comments and go ''yep that''s how i thought it was'' then go ahead, and if you think ''what the heck are they talking about'' then maybe reread the chapter

ChaosCommand    122
I'm still pretty new to game programming, but I must say, In my opinion (not to start a flame war), that if you are really serious about programming. You will want to buy at least about 3 or 4 books.

1.) A book on C++ Programming:
"C++ Primer Plus" was my favorite
"Accelerated C++" is a good one that I hear from a lot of people. But I don't have it.

2.) A book on Windows programming (this is optional, but you will want to learn Windows programming sooner or later, but isn't REQUIRED, you could probably learn all of it off the internet or MSDN):
"Programming Windows" 5th Edition by Charles Petzold is a good book

3.) You will want a book on game programming.
"Tricks Of The Windows Game Programming Gurus" is the one I am using.

4.) 3D... This is when you get into way advanced stuff. Pick up a book on OpenGL or DirectX.
Don't have any suggestions on these since I have not gotten that far. nehe.gamedev.net (hey, that is right here :D) is a great place.

I did learn the real basics on www.gametutorials.com, but it didn't go into ENOUGH detail on the specifics of how the code worked for me. And it was geared just toward game programming. I want to learn programming in general as well, just so I can have a chance later on if the game industry isn't my thing.

People will argue that you can find all this stuff on the internet. But the authors go into real detail and put more time into it and most of them know what they are talking about.

C++ In 21 Days is an ok book. But there are MUCH MUCH better.

www.amazon.com, check out programming in books and check out the reviews.

And be sure to keep going at it, and don't give up. I am having trouble with pointers, but I feel I can pull through it with time. One day I learned all about Functions, References, Arrays, Strings, and all kinds of things in one day, when it just clicked. So it will become easy with time. Just don't give up! :D

That's all the advice I can give. Good Luck :D

www.chaoswebcreations.com
James Mowery

[edited by - ChaosCommand on August 13, 2003 7:26:00 AM]

Looks like l3mon beat me to it

[edited by - ChaosCommand on August 13, 2003 7:36:59 AM]

PhiberOptic    128
I have that 21 days book is VERY good.

You can learn faster from online tutorials, but you won''t learn the details as good as reading in a book..

But remembah. Learn from study, one cannot, one has practice, Ya!!

----------------------------------------------
Petter Nordlander

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. The who understand binary and those who don''t"

GrinningGator    122
quote:
Original post by ChaosCommand
... if you are really serious about programming. You will want to buy at least about 3 or 4 books ...

... per year, per language you work in. Plus several language neutral books: design patterns, software engineering principles, etc.