Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dominik_78

Animating my 3d-Guy

Hi, as I am thinking of my 3D-Charakter (or better all of my Models) Animation I stuck a bit. How should I make that Animation lets say in a scripting Language? So that a "move" is bound to a brunch of operations. Is there any good resources to read though? I think i need to divide my model to a few subs place a "rotate around this" point and tell my game where to rotate at which frame. Any help would be nice. BTW: I don't know if I posted to the right forum. But this seams to me the best place to ask. Thanks [edited by - Dominik_78 on August 13, 2003 8:23:25 AM]

Any part of your model that will bend or move will require a joint to exist at that location. Each segment that extends from that joint should be drawn in the local coordinate syste, of the joint that owns it. This allows for easy recursive drawing code for your skeletal figure.

To do the animation, you record the rotation of every joint at "key frames". Your program should interpolate the rotations of each joint to go from one keyframe to the next. A time could also be stored to determine how fast/slow you want it to interpolate from each key frame to the next, or just say each frame is a fixed distance away. Fixed frame time might seem easier, but it will require weird, or unnatural keyframes to be made. By saying go from "AtRest" to "MidStride" in .3 seconds, then go from "MidStride" to "Crouch" in .7 seconds makes it easier and allows you to make re-usable frames.

[edited by - Stonicus on August 13, 2003 3:36:46 PM]

Thanks Stonicus,
thats what i though of. but not sure if it is the only way.
or lets say the best way.
does animationprograms export this kind of information?

[edited by - Dominik_78 on August 13, 2003 3:48:05 PM]