Profiler ?

Started by
1 comment, last by Endemoniada 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi guys, I''ve been programming in VC++ for years but never used a profiler before. I always tried to make my programs fast but it didn''t really matter if something took a half second to compute. Now I''m making a game so it does matter. I use Visual C++ 6.0 with SP5, does that include a profiler ? If not which one should I use ? Also, I''m using DirectX so should I test the algorithms without rendering ? To be honest, I don''t even know how to step through code with DirectX because when I set a break point it never goes back to the debugger. Any help is appreciated.
Advertisement
Read the Enginuity series hosted here on Gamedev. The author goes through the process of writing a pretty good homebrew profiler. Commercial ones are quite expensive, and the one in Enginuity is "good enough."

-timiscool999
"I like waffles. Especially with syrup." -me

XBox controller v2.0

click for bigger picture
-timiscool999"I like waffles. Especially with syrup." -me
XBox controller v2.0

click for bigger picture
Compuware has a free profiler for VS.NET and the older versions of CodeAnalyst were very good, and free.

VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement