Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edge of the world looks awful even with a skybox!

This topic is 5236 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m running a heightmapped terrain, predominantly for islands. I do a standard skybox but still at the edge of the map you can see the land just stops. Worse, I''m using a large transparent poly as a water layer and this moves up and down relative to the skybox as your height changes - the mountains in the distance can go underwater apparently! Additionally you can also see the edges of the ocean. So what I think I want to do is make a hybrid between skybox and normal techniques. So in the x/z plane the ocean plane goes off to the horizon but heightwise it stays at a fixed height relative to the world. It boils down to zeroing out some matrix elements I think but which?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well, I wouldn''t recommend using a fog per se. Instead, use the fog function to create a light haze, which can look very realistic.

[url]http://www.rctgl.com/screens/rctgl-milestone4-canterbury2.jpg[/url]

Also, don''t be afraid to draw a lot of objects at low detail, which should make the edge of the world farther away. You might give up a few FPS, but it might be worth it if it makes your world look better.