• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d000hg

Edge of the world looks awful even with a skybox!

This topic is 5450 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m running a heightmapped terrain, predominantly for islands. I do a standard skybox but still at the edge of the map you can see the land just stops. Worse, I''m using a large transparent poly as a water layer and this moves up and down relative to the skybox as your height changes - the mountains in the distance can go underwater apparently! Additionally you can also see the edges of the ocean. So what I think I want to do is make a hybrid between skybox and normal techniques. So in the x/z plane the ocean plane goes off to the horizon but heightwise it stays at a fixed height relative to the world. It boils down to zeroing out some matrix elements I think but which?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Well, I wouldn''t recommend using a fog per se. Instead, use the fog function to create a light haze, which can look very realistic.

[url]http://www.rctgl.com/screens/rctgl-milestone4-canterbury2.jpg[/url]

Also, don''t be afraid to draw a lot of objects at low detail, which should make the edge of the world farther away. You might give up a few FPS, but it might be worth it if it makes your world look better.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!