Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Linux is free - but not for long

This topic is 5220 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think that the fact IBM has chosen to counter sue indicates a strong probability that this is FUD, and simply a scare tactic from SCO and their backers (Microsoft).

Linus Torvalds has indicated that he is unworried about SCO''s claims. Unless SCO could gain ownership of the linux kernel (This seems unlikely), there will always be linux. Not to mention BSD and all of the other variants out there.

And what''s really important here is that both companies feel threatened enough to attempt this. That''s a good thing, and means that there''s a chance (I believe a good one) that we''ll soon see open source software in a dominant position. Or at least an equal position.

(Of course I''m not a lawyer, so these are just opinions)

-- Aaron

| HollowWorks.com |

I just cleaned up my laptop, and migrated to Linux, I am using Mandrake 9.1. I am not very good in Linux, but I don''t want to be using Whinedooze. I am still like a child learning to navigate in Linnucks environment. So far, so good, little bumps here and there, but trying to catch up.

I am still having problems on finding a driver for Canon i320 printer. I do a little bit of ''googling'', it seems turboprint was having list of updates but only in the list, nothing comes out. Does anyone have any idea about updated drivers?

I think we should all embark upon spreading anti-microsoft propaganda using palladium and privacy issues as the root of our cause. Yeah, whatever! For me, I find a perfect balance between using both MS and Linux. For me MS provides the most productivity in a given period of time compared to Linux. This is also partly because I am used to the windows environment ever since I typed "win" in msdos back in the 3.1 days. But Linux, as any experienced user of it would say, was built around networking and that makes it a wonderful system for for that purpose.

I wouldn''t worry really. They''ll have to release what code is under issue, then the kernel hackers will just replace it. Most of it seems related to IBM''s SMP code enhancements anyway.

Plus, still got the BSDs. *grin*

Int.

Apparently they''re claiming that a lot of critical code is theirs. Something like 137,000 lines of the critical multiproc code and something else. That''s a LOT of code, if ya ask me. At least, that''s what the slashdot article said.

VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.

Didn''t thet do it by "Mistake"? I didn''t read this link today but I read the ones in the past. I thought it was like a auto shop breaking something in your car fixing it and then adding thier goof up to your bill. Even if they could prove the code is thier''s it would seam to me that you could never rule out that it was done on deliberatly to try and gain control over something that didn''t belong to them. Trying to basicly steal Linux. I would also not be suprised to see the community redo all the code if they had to. There are plenty of smart people that could do it without causing too much of a setback. Linux makers are not the kind of people that would just take the perversion of thier hard work lightly.

For me this sounds just dirty tactics (from MS). It can have harm if common people get image that Linux is not free. But someone has said that any publicity is good publicity

what to think ?? SCO is fascist... How they find Linux is using their code ??? why they are reading all the linux codes ?? for money, that''s it... Fuck it all, again and again. We never die for SCO that has nothing to say.

And someday, we won''t be able anymore to do that:

int i;
for( i=0;i<1;++i) ;

because it is used by other companies !!!

The knowledge must not be a company property, but must be keep by its author (thoses who do the thing, not who paid to have something)... but when all people will understand that, we certainly be in 35413 years... So wait for 33000 years !!! (laughing)

Who is the fault ?? M$ attitude.

quote:
Original post by Fratt
what to think ?? SCO is fascist... How they find Linux is using their code ??? why they are reading all the linux codes ?? for money, that''s it... Fuck it all, again and again. We never die for SCO that has nothing to say.

And someday, we won''t be able anymore to do that:

int i;
for( i=0;i<1;++i) ;

because it is used by other companies !!!

The knowledge must not be a company property, but must be keep by its author (thoses who do the thing, not who paid to have something)... but when all people will understand that, we certainly be in 35413 years... So wait for 33000 years !!! (laughing)

Who is the fault ?? M$ attitude.

Been knocking back on the wine bottle frenchie?

M$ are very arrogant - (I''m told thats a quote from a someone who used to do work for M$)

The thing about Xerox and apple at the end of that article is right. At least we don''t get that bloody MSBlast virus. Ever trying giving tech support to someone who fucked up their computer with it?

M$ are trying to get rid of Open Source by reading the codes and finding little bits of code that look like theirs, and saying we stole stole it! How can they prove it without releasing their own source code to the public eventually?

I read a stupid article in the Irish Times (or Independant) a week or so ago about the Irish government entering talks with M$ to stop their departments and employees ussing Linux at, by releasing parts of Windows source code to them!!?!?!

Unfoutunately, this fucked up country is the largest exporter of M$hit software in the world. If you say Linux in a computer shop here, you''d probably get chased by an angry mob wihh torches.

Lol, I read that article and spotted this:

We will fight the cancerous SCO and its backer Microsoft organizations to the last breath and convert to any of the other GPL options to ensure that SCO/Microsoft does not succeed in this malicious and last-ditch desperate effort. Shame on [SCO] for playing this game and not focusing on improving their product to try to succeed. --Babak Pasdar, Founder/CTO, IGX Global, Hackensack, N.J.

That made me chuckle for a while. :D

More seriously,

do you find it normal that thousands lines of code where pumped from SCO to make Linux work ?? would it have never work without ? or would have it work as well without it ?

seriously, if the codes are in the linux sources, they have to be there, they are the best lines in the best place: this is not done to steal SCO, or to frustrate them, or anything bad else.

The thing is that: there are often many ways to do a stuff in programming, but there are minus ways to do it the best (efficiency, matching with the whole, elegancy, granularity). You can''t tell someone: the way you thought to do your job is my way of thought: look !! this is the same code as mine !
And after ? The thing you can say is more like: as we have almost the same codes, we think almost the same way, but I''m sure you don''t steal mine !

Of course, there are stealers. But do you think that linux kernel that is more that 10 years old of free development has stolen anything it could ? We just want USA to own computers in the whole world. What does this thing do to you ? How do you feel regarding that ? ... I won''t go more far.

How many GPL stuffs are we using now in the economic world: PHP, CVS, Linux (servers), GCC, Gmake, Gimp ? How many will come again ? And how many will try to make money with say best ways to do the same job ?

Regarding computers, I prefer think of what''s done by computer scientists and not economists...

hope this helps.

GrokLaw has more detailed, ongoing coverage including legal details.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

[edited by - Fruny on August 14, 2003 9:21:26 AM]

I have read Torvalds reply about it. He basically pointed out that the case was not about Linnucks anymore, it seems like it when it first come out. Right now, it is all about SCO, IBM and whoever giant tech firms who have vested interest on it.

MS is all about crap and we all know it.

quote:
Original post by Fratt
do you find it normal that thousands lines of code where pumped from SCO to make Linux work ??

What thousands of lines of code? Can you even give an example of one line? For all we know half of the lines could be

{

and the other half could be

}
[/code]

I think basically what SCO wanted with those license fees, it to make it so that the OS costs 50% or something like that of an average new linux box with N CPU(s). And that is outrageous, I think that all linux distros should file a class action suit against SCO for damages.

SCO undercuts its Linux case.

Apparently, the lines of code in question may predate even SCO thus invalidating the claim that IBM copied them into Linux. The code may very well still be covered by SCO copyright since SCO purchased the Unix IP, but may also have found its way into Linux through various other means.

SCO, of course, denies the allegations and stands by their claim. Should be an interesting mudfest.