Linux is free - but not for long

Started by
26 comments, last by clum 20 years, 7 months ago
quote:Original post by Fratt
do you find it normal that thousands lines of code where pumped from SCO to make Linux work ??

What thousands of lines of code? Can you even give an example of one line? For all we know half of the lines could be
{

and the other half could be
}[/code]
Advertisement
quote:Original post by xaxa
stupidity doesn''t have limits.

Amen, sir. Amen.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
I think basically what SCO wanted with those license fees, it to make it so that the OS costs 50% or something like that of an average new linux box with N CPU(s). And that is outrageous, I think that all linux distros should file a class action suit against SCO for damages.
SCO undercuts its Linux case.

Apparently, the lines of code in question may predate even SCO thus invalidating the claim that IBM copied them into Linux. The code may very well still be covered by SCO copyright since SCO purchased the Unix IP, but may also have found its way into Linux through various other means.

SCO, of course, denies the allegations and stands by their claim. Should be an interesting mudfest.
Bruce Perens has an analysis of SCO''s Las Vegas slide show, complete with the source code. He also supplies a lot of interesting historical information and makes a compelling argument in favor of Linux/IBM.
quote:Original post by Interim
I wouldn''t worry really. They''ll have to release what code is under issue, then the kernel hackers will just replace it. Most of it seems related to IBM''s SMP code enhancements anyway.

Plus, still got the BSDs. *grin*

Int.

They don''t have any code... That is why none is released.
The only code they''ve released was at their Las Vegas slide show. Part of which was confuscated, they changed the font so people couldn''t read it... presumably to make it harder to locate the code to dispute their claims or remove the offending code.
Their main example was traced back and at one point was released from them with an open license (BSD license IIRC..) attached to it.. Not only that but the same code has been traced back to early BSD (i.e. Not written by SCO) and the earliest incarnations seem to have originated back in the 70s.

I wonder if there will be any type of slander suits after SCO is shown to just be spreading FUD...
Shoot Pixels Not People
There already is. Red Hat is suing under such a notion. IBM is counter suing on other patent issues they say SCO violated.

Int.
the whole thing is nothing more than saving-our-butts from SCO
before this whole thing SCO was nearly dead, no money no future.
then they said to themselves: why not sue IBM for more money than a we can dream off?

they did and their stock is raising like it wants to say hello to god. hell i bet their managers did make already more money than we can dream off with their stocks.

as far as i now (don''t have the article anymore) they also offered IBM another solution: "you don''t want this stuff? so buy us and you will get the patents with us"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement