Linux is free - but not for long

Started by
26 comments, last by clum 20 years, 7 months ago
Look at this scary news.
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Advertisement
The SCO thing is old news, but that article actually seems pretty encouraging. 94% say they won''t pay? Sounds good to me.
I like the DARK layout!
I think that the fact IBM has chosen to counter sue indicates a strong probability that this is FUD, and simply a scare tactic from SCO and their backers (Microsoft).

Linus Torvalds has indicated that he is unworried about SCO''s claims. Unless SCO could gain ownership of the linux kernel (This seems unlikely), there will always be linux. Not to mention BSD and all of the other variants out there.

And what''s really important here is that both companies feel threatened enough to attempt this. That''s a good thing, and means that there''s a chance (I believe a good one) that we''ll soon see open source software in a dominant position. Or at least an equal position.

(Of course I''m not a lawyer, so these are just opinions)

-- Aaron

| HollowWorks.com |
I just cleaned up my laptop, and migrated to Linux, I am using Mandrake 9.1. I am not very good in Linux, but I don''t want to be using Whinedooze. I am still like a child learning to navigate in Linnucks environment. So far, so good, little bumps here and there, but trying to catch up.

I am still having problems on finding a driver for Canon i320 printer. I do a little bit of ''googling'', it seems turboprint was having list of updates but only in the list, nothing comes out. Does anyone have any idea about updated drivers?
I think we should all embark upon spreading anti-microsoft propaganda using palladium and privacy issues as the root of our cause. Yeah, whatever! For me, I find a perfect balance between using both MS and Linux. For me MS provides the most productivity in a given period of time compared to Linux. This is also partly because I am used to the windows environment ever since I typed "win" in msdos back in the 3.1 days. But Linux, as any experienced user of it would say, was built around networking and that makes it a wonderful system for for that purpose.
Well, R2D22U2..
stupidity doesn''t have limits.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I wouldn''t worry really. They''ll have to release what code is under issue, then the kernel hackers will just replace it. Most of it seems related to IBM''s SMP code enhancements anyway.

Plus, still got the BSDs. *grin*

Int.
Apparently they''re claiming that a lot of critical code is theirs. Something like 137,000 lines of the critical multiproc code and something else. That''s a LOT of code, if ya ask me. At least, that''s what the slashdot article said.

VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
Didn''t thet do it by "Mistake"? I didn''t read this link today but I read the ones in the past. I thought it was like a auto shop breaking something in your car fixing it and then adding thier goof up to your bill. Even if they could prove the code is thier''s it would seam to me that you could never rule out that it was done on deliberatly to try and gain control over something that didn''t belong to them. Trying to basicly steal Linux. I would also not be suprised to see the community redo all the code if they had to. There are plenty of smart people that could do it without causing too much of a setback. Linux makers are not the kind of people that would just take the perversion of thier hard work lightly.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
For me this sounds just dirty tactics (from MS). It can have harm if common people get image that Linux is not free. But someone has said that any publicity is good publicity

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement