How do virus hacks work(one needs some knowledge to protect oneself)

Started by
12 comments, last by CProgrammer 20 years, 8 months ago
goto Shields Up on grc.com, have it test your connection. if you get bad results, install zonealarm.

Advertisement
its worms like that W.32-Blaster which make me glad i''m sitting behind a linux firewall running in stealth mode so unless i''ve expressly forwarded the ports all packets to the unwanted ports get dropped and never replied to
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
goto Shields Up on grc.com, have it test your connection. if you get bad results, install zonealarm.

That was really interesting to read about the various attacks he faced and how he dissected and dealt with them. Thanks for the link.
quote:Original post by DevLiquidKnight
A real intresting question would be how do some viruses attach to the entrypoint of an exe making the virus execute itself upon execution of other programs Ive ALWAYS wanted to know how that worked. Not to make a virus its just like Ive always wonnderend how does that work? Im sure it has to do with like machine code but HOW DOES ONE DO THAT? 0.0 it boggles the mind

Well it''s not exactly rocket science... The executable file will have the address of the entry point stored in itself, in order for the operating system to know it when it''s loading the program. A typical exe virus will read that address, attach its own code to the program (either in unused spaces of the program, which will not change the file sise, or just as an appendix, which would change the file size.), change the entry point stored in the executable to the beginning of the virus code instead, and finally insert a jump to the original entry point at the end of the virus code.

I guess you could say it''s a self-contained primitive linker. Sort of.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement