8051 microcontroller series or microcontrollers in general

Started by
13 comments, last by CProgrammer 20 years, 7 months ago
I have created a ''simple'' webpage to host this weeks projects

robodev

I have just ordered the picchip programmer, so the project is on hold until it get here.

I''ll let you know how it goes.

On a final note, i have seen many questions about projects about pics, robots, parallel port stuff. I would like to see a specific forum for this subject, what''s your opinions?
Advertisement
quote:Original post by honayboyz
I always knew about microcontrollers like basic stamp and then a few of the c ones because i was trying to make a computer interface to my train.

I never really thought about actualy trying to interface a modern processor. Is it possible? Does anyone have any link?

Of course it''s possible - the easiest way to talk to a modern processor is RS-232 (serial). The parallel port seems to be a favorite for this type of application, because it lets you toggle lines - a poor man''s digital IO.

If you want a seriously integrated device to talk to a PC class processor, you talk via the ISA or PCI bus. With simpler chips use can use I2C.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
quote:Original post by DefCom
The Microchip starterkit that looks good, $36 (US) or £39 in UK, so how many dollars to the pound then????

Microchip

That is dirt-cheap! MC makes good stuff too.

The value of a pound is about 1.5 times that of a USD. But everything cost the about the same in pounds that it does in dollars - xsp high-tech.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
What about something like the 68HC11. Its got most of the ports built in (serial, parallel), rom/ram on the one chip like most others but there''s heaps of docs available. There''s even C++ cross compilers for windows if your that way inclined. Plus if you''ve done any C64 programming then the assembly is nearly identical.

Don''t mind me if all the other chips mentioned here are better, I''ve only ever had to use the HC11 for embedded apps and basic motion control. So I''m definately no expert.

I don''t think they sell HC11''s anymore. Maybe not even HC12''s.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement