Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dean1988

Dx9 Init Code...Should i learn it?

Hey Guys. In the DX9 Tutorials for D3d. There the Initialize code for a Dx9 Window. And i was curious, as to shoul i learn this off by heart? Because i could just include the nesecary files and edit the Resolution if needed, I''d like your opinions please. Thanks.. Dean.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Most people write wrapper functions around the Direct X initializations. So I would say learn it enough to write yourself some wrapper functions and then forget about all that nasty windows programming crap.

There's no point in deliberately spending time trying to learn code off by heart, but when you need it for a new project, look through your existing code as you copy it into the new project. You'll probably remember what most of it does - look up the bits that you don't remember in the documentation to refresh your memory.
That way, you can fit it to your project, and change it to fit however your coding style has changed since you wrote it originally (and your coding style will change - everyone's does, as they read more of other people's code, and copy the bits they like, and modify the bits they don't like, and get new ideas)

Edit: Basically, understanding is important and worth spending time on. Learning whether the flag for using T&L is D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING or D3DCREATE_VERTEXPROCESSING_HARDWARE is a waste of time.

John B

[edited by - JohnBSmall on August 13, 2003 2:44:27 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
I just copied what they had and tweaked it so that it could handle full screen mode.

Ok, Well Thanks for all your replies. I''m just gunna have a template folder, with the init files. Then copy that, for each now project, will save time and effort, hehe.

Thanks..

Dean.