• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iwod

C#

This topic is 5287 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

what are the impact on C# to c and C++?? would it be easilier to program games and faster and smaller?? any ideas??

Advertisement
what in the world is c#?

Sometimes even chickens need to eat... Don't bang your head against a wall just to enjoy the good feeling when you stop.

I bet it will crap out. That''s what happens when you mix Microsoft, C++, and Java together into one language. I''m interested to see how fast it''s compiled code is.

JoeMont001@aol.com

It''s my understanding that C# is compiled to byte-code and will execute using a VM like Java. It''s also supposed to be machine independent. As far as programming games, I don''t think it will be faster than C++, just because of the VM and machine independence.
If C# is anything like other Microsoft products, wait until version 3. The first two releases will probably not be stable .

-MartinJ

If the story, "The Tortoise and the Hare" were written today, would the energizer bunny win?

When the hell are they gonna stop creating new languages... I''m sick of all the crap coming out on the market all the time... Why don''t they just leave it the way it is at least once in this lifetime... damn... you gotta be a genuis to keep up with the industry and all the micro$HIT they have... grrr... The only thing I need is C/C++ and Pascal... Puck the rest...

C# will have no impact (or almost no impact) on existing languages like C/C++/Java. While none are perfect, they work well enough, are widely accepted, and for the most part standardized.

I haven''t looked at the C# language reference yet (I''m downloading it now), and so -- AS A LANGUAGE -- I won''t rule it out until I''ve seen the spec. However, I''m not expecting anything groundbreaking.

The threat of C# is to the Internet arena. Microsoft tampered with the specification of Java in their implementation, and got slapped on the hand for it. But now they have their own Java-like language. What happens if they implement it in their browser and remove Java? Everyone knows that software and websites most often cater to the majority platform, which is Windows/IE.

So to make their websites visible and interactive, they have to drop Java development and pick up C# development. (If it''s similar enough to Java, they may end up switching to C# almost involuntarily.) Microsoft controls C#, so now other browsers have to license C# from Microsoft for their browsers, or relinquish the browser market to Microsoft (since any C# web pages won''t work in the browser).

Assuming the language is similar to C/C++/Java as I expect, this is really Microsoft creating their own custom version of Java, calling it something other than Java to make it legal, and forcing it down your/our/everyone''s throat.

(Note: this is my opinion and purely speculation. I think I''m right but I might be wrong. Judge for yourself.)

---- --- -- -
Blue programmer needs food badly. Blue programmer is about to die!

This topic is 5287 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.