• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xyz

creating vast beautiful landscapes...

This topic is 5452 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, How can I create those vast, beautiful landscapes that can be seen in games such as Far Cry: (this is a really pretty pic! ) Thanks [edited by - xyz on August 13, 2003 3:32:10 PM]

Advertisement
That''s a good question, I''d like to know too.
It must take a huge amount of memory to store all the textures and vertices, etc......
How do they do it?

Guest Anonymous Poster
using a height map and some sort of ROAM system i would assume

Guest Anonymous Poster
Wow, those reflections are really nice. I''m guessing they use a lot of progressive meshes or something for all those far off trees, although I really have no idea. They probably use a lot of optimizations like that. With my skills, if I make a scene half that detailed it''s slow =/

Making something like that by yourself would be one helluva achievemnent. Not only does it take artistic skills but some serious optimization. BTW that game has one powerful AI "engine" too, I´m actually more impressed by it than the graphics.

I read it does proper rag doll physics too, so if you were to kill 30 people in the same place, they all pile up on eachother and don't fall through to the floor.

EDIT: BTW, that's a good picture for another post I want to make, hope you don't mind me stealing it!!!

---
When I'm in command, every mission's a suicide mission!

[edited by - theZapper on August 13, 2003 5:29:46 PM]

I guess the far away stuff is converted to images and then billboarded on the island.

But the island... geeeh. =)
Dont ask me how to do that, my GL stuff lags and stutters and goes utterly slow at 2-300 polygons....

"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!