Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xyz

creating vast beautiful landscapes...

Hi, How can I create those vast, beautiful landscapes that can be seen in games such as Far Cry: (this is a really pretty pic! ) Thanks [edited by - xyz on August 13, 2003 3:32:10 PM]

That''s a good question, I''d like to know too.
It must take a huge amount of memory to store all the textures and vertices, etc......
How do they do it?

Guest Anonymous Poster
using a height map and some sort of ROAM system i would assume

Guest Anonymous Poster
Wow, those reflections are really nice. I''m guessing they use a lot of progressive meshes or something for all those far off trees, although I really have no idea. They probably use a lot of optimizations like that. With my skills, if I make a scene half that detailed it''s slow =/

Making something like that by yourself would be one helluva achievemnent. Not only does it take artistic skills but some serious optimization. BTW that game has one powerful AI "engine" too, I´m actually more impressed by it than the graphics.

I read it does proper rag doll physics too, so if you were to kill 30 people in the same place, they all pile up on eachother and don't fall through to the floor.

EDIT: BTW, that's a good picture for another post I want to make, hope you don't mind me stealing it!!!

---
When I'm in command, every mission's a suicide mission!

[edited by - theZapper on August 13, 2003 5:29:46 PM]

I guess the far away stuff is converted to images and then billboarded on the island.

But the island... geeeh. =)
Dont ask me how to do that, my GL stuff lags and stutters and goes utterly slow at 2-300 polygons....

"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)

Perlin Noise work miracles for vast landscapes. A simple 2D Perlin Noise function can generate an infinite, non-repeating terrain for you. To do the textures, there are many ways. You can assign a height range for each texture. When a terrain vertex is within this range, you calculate it''s proximity to the upper and lower boundaries of the range in the form of a percentage (point A is 23.7% from lower bound and 76.3% from upper bound). Then you mix 23.7% of the texture represented by the lower bound and 76.3% of the texture from the upper bound. This will generate smooth transitions from grass to rock, rock to snow, etc... I am a bad teacher, so sorry if this doesn''t make any sense, but if any ofyou have tried this technique, it works great and you make a terrain that you can drive/walk on literally forever or until your computer falls apart from erosion.