Rendering Static Geometry

Started by
11 comments, last by Radan 20 years, 6 months ago
I read in an article that Static Vertex buffers are faster for rendering Static geometry(duhhh... hence the name). So I thought to render static geometry like this: Fill ONE Vertex buffer with all the static vertices and render using triangles indexing into that massive VBuffer. But, when rendering with indexed triangles aren''t the vertices supposed to get all processed first and then rendered used when are being indexed. My question is how often will the vertices in that Vertex Buffer get proccessed, cause if all the vertices get proccessed every frame it will be very slow? Sorry if its a beginner question or poorly worded, but I am a bit tired.
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
Advertisement
the parameters to DrawIndexedPrimitive control what gets transformed. so if you use 0 for all of them, yes the entire buffer will be transformed, but if you supply the right start index, vertices used etc. then only that part will be transformed
It won''t be that slow, don''t worry about it. Try to keep your vertex buffers to a maximum of 4 megabytes so the driver can swap them in and out of video memory as needed.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
A static VB will probably stay in video memory. Index buffers never do (yet), but once the VB is locked, rendering it is pretty fast, even if it''s big. Vertices don''t get ''processed'' until they''re drawn, so it''s just what you reference in the IB.

I''m not sure what the ''maximum'' size of the static buffer would be before getting shifted down to AGP, but you can test it out.

I like pie.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
Are u sure that only the vertices that get referenced to get processed cause that would make it very convinient.
bump
Only in software vertex processing the vertices are all transformed before rendering. In hardware vp, only the vertices from the indices are transformed on the fly.
Hardware vp is not an option since I''m aiming at older cards (TNT2, Ati Rage).

I guess the next question is what is faster for static geometry, using Static buffers even though some extra vertices get proccessed or using Dynamic VBuffers with a more conservative set of vertices??

Thanks for any replies
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

.lick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement