not really games, but asp.net

Started by
3 comments, last by wilhil 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi on visual studio .net 2003, I was thinking about creating a visual studio.net website, and I was wodnering what are the diffrences between the diffrent languages, you can create a c++ asp.net site, a vb asp.net site e.t.c. I am more confident with visual basic than c, so should i choose it, is there any diffrence in proformance / what you can do in it? or are they exactly the same, just diffrent ways of coding the site? sorry if this is a noob question! but this is the beginners board!
>wilhil<
Advertisement
I think you use C++/C#/VB to create activeX controls and objects you can put on your pages, you can also write scripts in VB (VB Script) and C# (only on .net though I think) that work in the same way as &#106avascript. I''m sure you still need to write the actual web pages in .asp or html though, and just embed bit''s from the other languages to do the fancy things you need.
Also, if you use .asp, your server has to be windows, a Unix one won''t run it.

I think i''m on the right lines here, anyone is welcome to tell me otherwise though.

---
When I''m in command, every mission''s a suicide mission!
---When I'm in command, every mission's a suicide mission!
quote:Original post by wilhil
Hi

on visual studio .net 2003, I was thinking about creating a visual studio.net website, and I was wodnering what are the diffrences between the diffrent languages, you can create a c++ asp.net site, a vb asp.net site e.t.c. I am more confident with visual basic than c, so should i choose it, is there any diffrence in proformance / what you can do in it?

or are they exactly the same, just diffrent ways of coding the site?

sorry if this is a noob question! but this is the beginners board!

First off, you can''t create a C++ ASP.NET based site. You can however use C#. Additionally, you will need to find a web host that supports IIS and the .NET Framework. I use www.flarehosting.com. If you don''t, your pages won''t work.

As far as the differences between 1 language and the other, I am a C++ programmer so I definately feel more comfortable with C#. If you''re good with VB, then try VB.NET. The only performance differences between the different languages occur between C++ and the others. The C++ team decided to optimize the MSIL code more than the C# or VB.NET groups. The optimization is pretty negligble though (unless you sprinkly in bits and pieces of unmanaged code for intensive operations).

Summary:
1. No C++ ASP.NET sites (only web services)
2. Find a .NET hosting company
3. Use language you are comfortable with.

-Mark
quote:Original post by theZapper
I think you use C++/C#/VB to create activeX controls and objects you can put on your pages, you can also write scripts in VB (VB Script) and C# (only on .net though I think) that work in the same way as &#106avascript. I''m sure you still need to write the actual web pages in .asp or html though, and just embed bit''s from the other languages to do the fancy things you need.
Also, if you use .asp, your server has to be windows, a Unix one won''t run it.

I think i''m on the right lines here, anyone is welcome to tell me otherwise though.

---
When I''m in command, every mission''s a suicide mission!

Actually, you''re a little ways off here.
1. .NET languages don''t create ActiveX controls
2. What do you mean by "objects you can put on your web page"?
3. C# is not a scripting language.
4. You write the page in ASP.NET which contains C# or VB.NET code interspersed with HTML. You can optionally utilize a code-behing file which creates a dynamic link library which is used by the ASP.NET runtime. In other words, no scripting but real compiled code.

-Mark
sorry, i have my own servers to host on, I simply wanted to know the diffrence between the diffrent sorts of asp.net

you have helped me

Thanks
>wilhil<

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement