Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectX problem ..

This topic is 5241 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm serious about learning gameprogramming so as I just finished my book about C++ I start reading my book about game programming (Windows gameprogramming for dummies). - Please give me some comments about this book, should I keep reading it? what would be the next book to read? etc. etc. Problem: I have a very strange problem when I'm trying to compile one of the examples from the book (mostly written by myself and not copied from the CD I got with the book); my DirectDrawCreate() function doesnt work...
// As simple as it can be ...
DirectDrawCreate(NULL,&lpdd,NULL);

Strange enough I get a linker error saying Linker error: undefined reference to DirectDrawCreate@12' I have included ddraw.lib and ddraw.h from the latest dx SDK 9 ... what could possibly be wrong here ??? Please help me!! EDIT: lpdd is a global LPDIRECTDRAW variable. [edited by - rhide on August 13, 2003 5:52:30 PM]

There is no DirectDrawCreate(). DDraw was removed in DX8.
Sounds like you have an older book.

Direct3DCreate9() is the function to create a D3D9 device. Check the SDK docs for more, and newer books for even more info.

I like pie.