• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raloth

multiple index buffers for 1 tilemap array - headaches

This topic is 5450 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on getting an index buffer for each of the different tiles in my tilemap so that I can blend in between them. I am sure that it's setting the array right so it knows which tiles go where, so it can only be the indices that are wrong. Can anyone spot a problem with this code?
	WORD *pGrassIndices,*pDirtIndices,*pSandIndices;

if(grassIndices) if(FAILED(grassIndices->Lock(0,0,(BYTE**)&pGrassIndices,0))) return false;
	if(dirtIndices) if(FAILED(dirtIndices->Lock(0,0,(BYTE**)&pDirtIndices,0))) {
		grassIndices->Unlock();
		return false;
	}
	if(sandIndices) if(FAILED(sandIndices->Lock(0,0,(BYTE**)&pSandIndices,0))) {
		grassIndices->Unlock();
		dirtIndices->Unlock();
		return false;
	}

int position = 0;
	for(int i=0;i<32;i++) {
		for(int j=0;j<32;j++) {
			if(tilelookup[i][j] & GrassID) {
				pGrassIndices[0] = position + 0;
				pGrassIndices[1] = position + 1;
				pGrassIndices[2] = position + 3;
				pGrassIndices[3] = position + 1;
				pGrassIndices[4] = position + 2;
				pGrassIndices[5] = position + 3;
				pGrassIndices += 6;
			}
			if(tilelookup[i][j] & DirtID) {
				pDirtIndices[0] = position + 0;
				pDirtIndices[1] = position + 1;
				pDirtIndices[2] = position + 3;
				pDirtIndices[3] = position + 1;
				pDirtIndices[4] = position + 2;
				pDirtIndices[5] = position + 3;
				pDirtIndices += 6;
			}
			if(tilelookup[i][j] & SandID) {
				pSandIndices[0] = position + 0;
				pSandIndices[1] = position + 1;
				pSandIndices[2] = position + 3;
				pSandIndices[3] = position + 1;
				pSandIndices[4] = position + 2;
				pSandIndices[5] = position + 3;
				pSandIndices += 6;
			}
			position += 4;
		}
	}

if(sandIndices) sandIndices->Unlock();
	if(dirtIndices) dirtIndices->Unlock();
	if(grassIndices) grassIndices->Unlock();
GrassID is set to 1, DirtID is set to 2, and SandID is 4 so I can use | to set the tilelookup array to contain multiple types in one element. First I go through my base array and set the tiles to all grass. I then go and set the tilelookup array using the bits above for each adjacent tile. I ran some tests and everything works fine so far. However, if I try adding in a few random sand or dirt tiles, it won't render at all except for a few places at the beginning of the array. Any ideas? I'm so confused . [edited by - Raloth on August 13, 2003 9:54:07 PM]

Advertisement
The second parameter to Lock should be the size in bytes that you want to lock, ie. 32*32*6*sizeof(WORD) instead of zero ;->

You may be able to lock a smaller region if you''ve already counted how many tiles use each type ( which you need to know anyway when you draw the data ).

Why use a different set of indicies for each sand/dirt/grss when they are exsactly the same? O_o

quote:
Original post by Osc
The second parameter to Lock should be the size in bytes that you want to lock, ie. 32*32*6*sizeof(WORD) instead of zero ;->

You may be able to lock a smaller region if you''ve already counted how many tiles use each type ( which you need to know anyway when you draw the data ).

If you give both parameters 0 then it locks the entire buffer.
quote:
Original post by ACAC
Why use a different set of indicies for each sand/dirt/grss when they are exsactly the same? O_o

They aren''t the same...

Raloth,
I think you may want to consider only using 1 index buffer instead of splitting it into one for each texture type. The reason I had been splitting it before was because I wasn''t doing any blending. If you''re blending, however, you''re going to be rendering several textures for each "tile" so there''s no real point to splitting the index buffer. I think...

Well, I could render the entire map several times. The problem is once you get to things like 6 different texture types you end up rendering 4 times the number of tiles you need to...

A better way might be to create your index buffers in such a way that all geometry that will be rendered with 1 pass is in 1 buffer, 2 passes in another buffer, 3 passes in another, etc. That way, you''re only rendering a small portion of the geometry multiple times.

Ok, I will try it once I get my much more annoying alpha blending problem fixed. Thanks!

[edit] Are you sure about that? Because I gave each index buffer a separate pointer. Hmm...

[edited by - Raloth on August 14, 2003 11:52:46 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!