Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS05870

Input Manager

SS05870    122
Hi, i'm writing an InputManager to handle all kind of input devices (keyboard, mouse, HMD, ...), that user choose to catch. To do this, i want some kind of interface (class Input) that every device must re-write to capture data and return to user. Two hours later i thought: "every device returns different information"...and two hours later, i realized that it was the way how DirectInput manages information (i hate myself for being so predictable). Anyway, with that kind of Input Manager I must give some interface:
class InputManager{
	map<std::string, Input*> inputMap;
	//...

};

class Input{
	public:
		Input();
		virtual ~Input();

virtual Input* create() = 0;
		virtual InputState* capture() = 0;
};

//where InputState must be the structure to fill by the device

//but i don't know what struct is it:

template<class InputDevice, class InputStruct>
class Input{
	public:
		Input(){};
		virtual ~Input(){};

virtual InputDevice*	create() = 0;
		virtual InputStruct*	getState() = 0;
};
Now i know the structure...but i can't map<> it None of these would work... the problem raises from that different types of structure for every device. If I use templates with Input interface, i can't use that map<> association (because Input<> has no especific type) and if i don't, i can't get any device information (because i can't generalize a structure). How can i solve that return structure (¿void*? )? Is there a better way to manage input info? while(true){ Thanks(); } [edited by - SS05870 on August 13, 2003 7:11:12 PM]