Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RonHiler

Winsock bind error (UDP)

This is my client network initialization code. These are asyncrhronous sockets. I''m failing at the bind call with a 10049 error (WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL), but I honestly don''t see the problem. What am I doing wrong here? (error checking removed) //Start up WinSock WinSockError = WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(2,2), &Network.WinSockData); //create the input socket InputSocket = WSASocket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_UDP, NULL, 0, 0); //bind the socket to our port InternetAddr.sin_family = AF_INET; InternetAddr.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr(INADDR_ANY); InternetAddr.sin_port = htons(INPUT_PORT); WinSockError = bind (InputSocket, (PSOCKADDR)&InternetAddr, sizeof(InternetAddr)); //asociate the socket with a window handle WinSockError = WSAAsyncSelect(InputSocket, Window, WM_SOCKET, FD_READ); //create the Output socket OutputSocket = WSASocket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_UDP, NULL, 0, 0); //asociate the socket with a window handle WinSockError = WSAAsyncSelect(OutputSocket, Window, WM_SOCKET, FD_WRITE);

What''s INPUT_PORT''s value? It could be in a forbidden range.

Ports can be active a bit after the app crashes and a new app instance will be refused access. Set the SO_REUSEADDR bit with ''setsockopt()'' before the ''bind()''.

Check for existing applications using the port with ''netstat -a''.

-cb

quote:
Original post by cbenoi1
What''s INPUT_PORT''s value? It could be in a forbidden range.

quote:

Ports can be active a bit after the app crashes and a new app instance will be refused access. Set the SO_REUSEADDR bit with ''setsockopt()'' before the ''bind()''.

Okay, done. No change

Am I supposed to bind a client socket when I use UDP? I''m not clear on this.

You can''t use inet_addr the way you are using it. It is supposed to take a string containing an IPv4 address. Instead use htonl(INADDR_ANY). Of course with INADDR_ANY the htonl call isn''t really needed since in Win32 INADDR_ANY is defined as a long 0.

Yep, you are right, Mastaba, that was the problem. I accidentally left that in when I switched to using INADDR_ANY from a explicit address. Oops Works fine now.