Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GLEnum - WTFrick?

This topic is 5235 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a question concerning GLEnum''s. What the frick is a GLEnum? I know when your using GL its a type, like float, double, or int. However, what I don''t understand is how this is represented at the binary level. I thought - well maybe its just an unsigned int and then the sizeof that type. Is this correct? The reason why I''m asking is that I''m trying to put a virtual class layer inbetween the user and the engine, that way it can be more rendering api independant. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yeah, it represents a value from an enumeration, but since "enumerations" in OpenGL are just "#defines", GLenum takes the form

typedef unsigned int GLenum;

[edited by - zealouselixir on August 13, 2003 9:23:14 PM]

It''s just an unsigned integer, if you need the size use sizeof(GLenum);

Since OpenGL is based on C, it''s not a "real" enum. Just an int, that is used like one.
So you''re only supposed to use GLenum values like GL_TEXTURE_2D with it, although there is nothing stopping you from just using a number, like 5.
It just won''t work at run time, as OpenGL will think you mean GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP, which is #define''d to be 5 in gl.h

The makers of OpenGL are just trying to emulate enums in a language that doesn''t have them.