MMORTS???

Started by
21 comments, last by maxd gaming 20 years, 8 months ago
Hmm would it even be possible? A MMORTS?
The Untitled RPG - |||||||||| 40%Free Music for your gamesOriginal post by capn_midnight 23yrold, is your ass burning from all the kissing it is recieving?
Advertisement
k sorry hopeless post...forget it
The Untitled RPG - |||||||||| 40%Free Music for your gamesOriginal post by capn_midnight 23yrold, is your ass burning from all the kissing it is recieving?
Actually, this idea was tried by SOE. Look up Sovereign. After years of development, SOE cancelled the project.
Hmmm... boy, that WOULD be tricky. Not only would you have to keep track of hundreds of players, you''d have to juggle each of their hundreds of units. The logistics of something like that is WAY beyond my poor mental capabilities.

Josh
vertexnormal AT linuxmail DOT org

Check out Golem at:
My cheapass website
It has been done and is (for and Indy) wildly succesful.

Shattered Galaxy.

http://www.sgalaxy.com/

I have not played so I can't tell you what the game play is like.

[edited by - DeltaVee on August 14, 2003 1:58:05 PM]
D.V.Carpe Diem
Could you make a MMO game that focuses on strategy in real time situations? Yes.

Could you make a MMO game that is based off of the concepts and fundamentals of current popular RTS games (Warcraft III, starcraft, AOK, C&C Generals, etc)? I really dont think so.

You''d have to mangle the most basic concepts of an RTS game to get it to work in an MMO setting. Economy/Resources would have to be totally reworked, unit producing would have to be drastically changed, etc. I mean thats not to say you cant build a strategy game in real time in a MMO environement, but its cant be an "RTS" game so to speak.

Ratman
well i was thinking more of a real life war basic theme (meaning you build forever until you die then start again)
nice...im downloading Shattered Galaxy right now...looks really good...see I was thinking about making a MMORTS (NO FLAMING) I do realize the problems and complications but I''m very good at problem solving and I have a team of 4 VERY GOOD C++ Programmers...If you are interested in joining the team email me at

fallenkatana AT netscape DOT net
I think you''d probably have to take into consideration whether or not you want it persistent, as well. You could make a MM RTS non-persistent and still follow traditional (ie, StarCraftian) principles. Just lots more players, and lots more units; lots more fighting, and lots more glory to be the last man standing when the game ends. Not to mention, lots more bandwidth and processing requirements.

A persistent world RTS would have to "mangle the most basic concepts", just as Ratman said. You''d have to deal with resource depletion, players who join late and at a disadvantage to players that have been sitting like spiders in their monstrous web of units and buildings for the last seven and a half days, etc... You can''t just drop some poor schmuck with a town center, 4 peasants, and a light cavalry scout into the middle of a boiling war involving hand cannoneers, upgraded mangonels, and upgraded stone walls--not and expect that poor schmuck to last more than about a minute and a half.

There are games out there already that involve a great deal of real-time strategy; most are wrapped up in an FPS wrapper. Back when I still played games (too busy, now ) I was often embroiled in some pretty crafty strategery playing Tribes 2, involving actual battle plans, coordinated strikes, and everything. It could be argued, then, that these are RTS, and go from there.

Sorta depends, then, on what your definition of RTS is. I dunno, maybe I''m just rambling here...

Josh
vertexnormal AT linuxmail DOT org

Check out Golem at:
My cheapass website
Just found this as well

http://www.s2games.com/savage/index.html

I agree with the points being made about persistence. You could end up with a single player dominating the whole server.

What about a God/demi-God/immortal/mortal approach? Once you reach a certain level of proficiency/power/size/strength you would then ''transcend'' to a higher plane, leaving the lower level players behind.

Actually this would solve a number of problems that are inherent in MMOG''s.

Everyone would rise (and fall) to their level. That way you would never have 1 player/clan dominate a whole server or sector.

When you get too big for a level you advance to the next one bringing a all/part of your resources with you. If you get to small (i.e. repeated losses/destruction) you drop down a level with your remaining resources. This will give players something to literaly rise to.

As far as resources go, they could continously shift/migrate so you wouldn''t just dump a mine somplace to mine for weeks on end, you would have to moive it from time to time.

This is an extremely rough concept so feel flee to slam it. I have already found some problems with it.

D.V.Carpe Diem

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement