Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

karasuman

DX 8.1 SDK with DX 9

karasuman    122
I finally got around to doing a Windows Update. I previously had DX 8.1 Dev Runtime and DX 8.1 SDK installed, and developed my game to this point with that installed. Monday night, I went to do the update, and it installed the DX 9 runtime. Now my game still compiles but doesn't run. It gets an error in D3D8.DLL, stating that it is linked to a function in DDRAW.DLL that does not exist. So I'm going to just download and install DX 9.0b DevRuntime and DX 9.0b SDK, but I had some questions. Basically, let's say I just download the 9.0b DevRuntime. Can I install it over the DX 9 end-user runtime? If not, what DLLs need to be deleted to manually remove the DX 9 runtime install? Unfortunately I do not have a restore point. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. [edited by - karasuman on August 14, 2003 2:08:47 AM]

Mirgatroid    100
link to d3d9.lib and not d3d8.lib in your project settings (assuming VC++)

it is all backwards compatible i believe

[edited by - Mirgatroid on August 14, 2003 2:08:55 AM]

karasuman    122
I don''t have the DX 9 SDK installed, so the DX 9 library files aren''t on the computer. It installed the end-user runtime, which I believe consists of DLLs only.

karasuman    122
I replaced d3d8.dll with the 8.1 version instead of the 9 version, and now everything seems to work right. So I may leave it alone for the time being. Should I install the DX 9 Dev Runtime, since I have no DevRuntime on currently? Or should I just leave it alone? ^_^

Mirgatroid    100
quote:
Original post by karasuman
I replaced d3d8.dll with the 8.1 version instead of the 9 version, and now everything seems to work right. So I may leave it alone for the time being. Should I install the DX 9 Dev Runtime, since I have no DevRuntime on currently? Or should I just leave it alone? ^_^

ummm.....

sdoherty55    122
You can install the DirectX 9 SDK and continue to develop in DirectX 8.1. Note that you may want to keep your 8.1 help files; I don''t think you can download them as standalone from the Microsoft Site.

karasuman    122
Re: Mirgatroid

Haha, yeah I know, it was kind of a hack, but everything is running ok. (using DXDiag, the tests work). Basically I have the DX 9.0b end-user runtime installed over the DX 8.1 Dev Runtime, and the DX 8.1 SDK which is separate. So should I install the DX 9.0b Dev Runtime, and if I do this, will it overwrite the 9.0b end-user runtime? Basically, will a Dev Runtime overwrite an end-user runtime of the same version? This is all under Win ME btw.

RenderTarget    398
If you keep the DX8.1 SDK components (headers and libs) it won''t matter if you get the DX9b runtime.

You can play DX8 games on compters with DX9, right? Development is the same, as long as you have headers and libs. You''ll still have the DX8 dlls.

I like pie.

dagamer34    122
The libs and dlls are not replaced when you install DX9.0 SDK. Also most of the documentation isn''t updated (which they should have) but keep a copy of it anyway. AND NEVER INSTALL AN SDK OVER ANOTHER ONE. SCREWS UP COMPUTER, HAVE TO RESET EVERTHING.