Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Makoy

C++ Compiler

smart_idiot    1298
C++ isn't some program made and owned by some company, it's a language. You want a C++ compiler. Common C++ compilers include Borland, GCC, MinGW, and MSVC++.

[edited by - smart_idiot on August 14, 2003 2:00:37 AM]

Rob Loach    1504
I''ve been using MSVC for the longest time I just decided to try out Dev-C++ and wow. The compiling speed is SO much faster (in my opinion) and is great for working with single c/cpp files! This is perfect!

Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?"
- The Boondock Saints

smart_idiot    1298
To avoid confusion, Dev-C++ is a C/C++ IDE, not a compiler. You use it for editing source code. It doesn''t do the work of converting that code into a program. Dev-C++ optionally comes with MinGW which it can use for that task.

maxd gaming    100
does using an old version limit your code? or just the speed? cause im using dev studio 97 (vis C++ 5.0) ... im only a beginner aand havent ran into anyproblems yet but....

WiseElben    250
Note his topic: C++ Compiler
That means he knows what a compiler is.

For a free one, I suggest the Dev-C++ IDE, which comes with a compiler.

hellz    356
quote:
Original post by WiseElben
Note his topic: C++ Compiler
That means he knows what a compiler is.

As much as I can see where you're coming from, I don't think it's safe to assume that's the case. Don't forget, the same happens with "Assembly" and "Assembler" all the time. They might know a buzzword, but doesn't necessarily mean they understand what it is/does.

Edit: DJGPP is a really nice compiler to start with actually. It forces you to get to know the difference between a compiler and a linker, for example. Working from the command line isn't as bad as it seems, once you get to know it and it's fairly easy to setup.

--hellz

[edited by - hellz on August 14, 2003 10:34:11 PM]

Makoy    126
Originally from Anthonyrh1
Hmm. I noticed alot of you sugguesting compilers but not where to get them.
www.bloodshed.net has dev C++ and a couple other versions i dont remember.

I visited www.bloodshed.net and it seems that I''m having a trouble accesing the site. Is there any other site who also offers dev C++? BTW thanks for the info Anthony that''s all I need to know.

Rob Loach    1504
quote:
Original post by Makoy
I visited www.bloodshed.net and it seems that I''m having a trouble accesing the site. Is there any other site who also offers dev C++?

Does this do it?