Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Win32: Adding text to multiline edit box

This topic is 5239 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a edit box with the following styles defined.
WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_VSCROLL | ES_LEFT | ES_READONLY | ES_MULTILINE | ES_AUTOVSCROLL  
The edit box show's up correctly and with all visual styles I want, but I'm having trouble adding multiple lines to the box. I used a stringstream because I want to ease the process of int->string conversion. Here's the code I'm using to (hopefully) output multiple lines to the edit box.
stringstream ss;
ss << "Name: " << stringName << "\r";
ss << "Quote: " << stringQuote << "\r";

SendMessage(npcEditBox,WM_SETTEXT,0,(LPARAM)ss.str().c_str());  
But when I run this and check the contents of the edit box I get a string like "Name: NPCName|Quote: NPCQuote|" (all on one line). It doesn't seem to recognize the \r, which should be the escape character for a carriage return. Is there another escape character I should use, or does it have to do with stringstream? BTW I'm running VC++ 6 (if it matters) [edited by - Vangelis on August 14, 2003 5:24:36 AM]

Thank you AP, that works wonderfully. I''m not too sure why though, "\r" is a carriage return and "\n" is a new line. Why when I go something like "cout << "text\n";" I do not need a carriage return?

Just some curious questions, thanks for the help.