Direct3D and .NET Forms

Started by
5 comments, last by DavidClarke 20 years, 8 months ago
I want to create a gui for my direct3D app, .NET forms seem to be the logical way to go (I DONOT WANT TO USE MFC). Are there any tutorials or samples available on the internet? Your guidance would be much appreciated.
Advertisement
I recommend using MFC since that is the kind of thing MFC was created for. But if you really can''t use MFC, then sorry I couldn''t help!
If you don''t want to use all that MFC jazz, you can use either the Win32 API or .NET forms. Either will work fine, although -- depending on what you do -- you may need to clip the areas where you are drawing Windows.

Ideally, though, you''d just do your own. There is something unprofessional-looking about mixing DirectX and standard Windows -- even when they are cleverly disguised.
Co-creator of Star Bandits -- a graphical Science Fiction multiplayer online game, in the style of "Trade Wars'.
Try the following, I haven't personally used them so I can't say how good they are. If you go to

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=24#53

and scroll down to the "General" section (about 4/5 of the way down), there are a number of tutorials there.

Good luck

Asim

BTW - This maybe MFC related - I don't know how much information you can find about .NET forms on the internet.

[edited by - asim on August 14, 2003 5:12:26 PM]
quote:Original post by DavidClarke
I want to create a gui for my direct3D app, .NET forms seem to be the logical way to go (I DONOT WANT TO USE MFC). Are there any tutorials or samples available on the internet? Your guidance would be much appreciated.

This tutorial gives a pretty good introduction to Managed DirectX with C#: http://staff.develop.com/candera/weblog2/articleview.aspx/DirectX/Direct3D

Of course... if you already have a codebase in C++, you should be able to just take the Handle property of the .NET form in question, and pass it to your C++ code to use as the HWND for the viewport(ok, so I don''t really remember all the DX init stuff, but you get my drift...).

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
This Wiki is oriented towards Managed DirectX but there are also C++ links as well....It is a Wiki so you can add any other links you find there as well

http://www.seedwiki.com/page.cfm?doc=DirectxLinks&wikiid=2492&wpid=0

I am in the middle of developing a business application, not a game and this so far is working well. I have directX working in a Panel in a multPanel MDI form within a series of forms running from a main application form. You just need to make sure you call your DirectX form the way the Managed DirectX samples run the main form.

The most difficult part is that the Documentation is almost non-existant.

Have fun

Of all the things that I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most!
Of all the things that I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most!
I too am prototyping a business app with Managed DirectX 9. I simply subclassed a System.Windows.Forms.Control, which is my directx viewport, and has support for multiple viewports via a global directx device wrapper singleton. The control is in a control library, so we can simply drag and drop the directx control into any form we like in the designer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement