Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBaker

Creating Bullets

TheBaker    122
How do you create bullets (and other objects that there can be a very large and variable number of) in a game? Say you create a Bullet class to hold location and direction, wouldn''t you need to declare a seperate instance for each bullet, meaning you''d have to declare them all before you started a level, using up a lot of memory. Could some one explain how they''d do it efficiently?

siaspete    208
I think you basically answered your question. You can either allocate them when you need them and have a lower memory usage or you can allocate them in the beginning and take up more memory than you''ll actually need.

I''d give the std::vector class a go, or std::deque if you''re going to be adding and removing them all the time.

Perhaps you could store a bool in your Bullet class that says whether it''s actually being used or not. That way you can hold them in a vector and search for an unused one when you need one.

Or whatever.

Why you shouldn''t use iostream.h - ever! | A Good free online C++ book

evolutional    1393
What you can do is make a std::list

and as you create a new CBullet instance, simply add it onto the list.

Make sure you remove the old ones after they expire!

(Pseudocode)

class CBullet
{
... static std::list<CBullet*> firedbullets;
};

FireBullet()
CBullet *bullet = new CBullet;
CBullet::firedbullets.push_back(bullet);

DoStuffWithBullets()
... recurse CBullet::firedbullets
if bullet == expired
{
CBullet::firedbullets.remove(bullet);
}

Hope this helps

CodeMunkie    805
I use a hybrid technique. When I need to create one new bullet I just go ahead a create a block of 10 bullets but only set the active flag of one. Then when I need another new bullet, I just look through the inactive pool and set one to active. If the inactive pool is empty, then I create a new block of 10 bullets. It cuts down on the allocation overhead.

JohnBolton    1372
quote:
Original post by TheBaker
... using up a lot of memory ...

How many bullets are you talking about? 100? 1000? 10,000?

Suppose there are 1000 bullets and each has a position, a velocity, and an age. Allocating space for 1000 bullets would require 28k, which doesn''t seem like a lot of memory to me.

Thunder_Hawk    314
I agree with JB there, but do remember that that 28k comes out of your cache space, and just that little bit extra could really mess things up. I tend to use a small array and a boolean alive variable in my bullet class. Of course, I have a tight reign over my bullets. If there was a lot more action going on on the screen, I''d consider using a std::vector or std::deque as already mentioned.

starstriker1    245
In my game, I decided to declare all the bullets beforehand. I used a single global variable (could have been local, I guess) to keep track of them all. This variable, bulletcount, tells me how many bullets I have to process. Every time I need a new bullet, I initialize bullet[bulletcount+1].

Every loop, bullets[1] to bullets[bulletcount] are processed.

Every time I need a bullet destroyed, I use a routine that lowers all bullets above it in the list (bullet[5] becomes bullet[4] and so on) then decrease bulletcount. Some might call it inefficient and slow, but in the end I don''t think the slight slowdown really effects anything, since it only comes into play when the bullet is destroyed.

Hope that helps.

Tron3k    660
quote:
Original post by starstriker1
Every time I need a bullet destroyed, I use a routine that lowers all bullets above it in the list (bullet[5] becomes bullet[4] and so on) then decrease bulletcount. Some might call it inefficient and slow, but in the end I don''t think the slight slowdown really effects anything, since it only comes into play when the bullet is destroyed.
That''s ridiculously inefficient. Let''s say you want to delete bullet[5]. Just set bullet[5] equal to the last bullet in the list and decrease the bullet count. In other words:

bullet[5] = bullet[bulletcount];
bulletcount--;

CheeseWeaver    122
i'm hardly any authority on this matter, but i've been advised that new/delete is kind of slow, and that allocating/deallocating memory on the fly as each bullet is fired/destroyed might not be the most efficient way to do it performancewise.

personally i handle it like the particles in my particle system, i initialize a rather big buffer with bullets, that are either live==true or live==false. each frame i loop the buffer until currentbulletnum is reached and blit all that are (live). when i need to add a new bullet the buffer is searched until an instance with live==false is found. (which is initialized and live=true, obviously.)
not sure whether this is a good solution.

i suppose it depends on the situation, allocating memory on the fly for each bullet might not be a problem with muzzleloaders, but might get tricky when dealing with MG42's or GAU-8's.

edit: stupid typo

[edited by - CheeseWeaver on August 17, 2003 1:17:27 PM]