Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BobTech

Problem under Linux with SDL tutorials

BobTech    122
When i try to _run_ SDL turorials (from GameTutorials.com) i get an error message saying something about GLX...being 0.0...? I don''t quite remember(even tough i know it might help) what it was exacly, and i can''t re-create that now becouse i''ve trashed my linux soon affter (don''t ask...) to a non-booting state. New one on the way. now to the point: after installing the latest sdl and mesa, the tutorials finally compiled right, but didn''t run(as mentioned above). The distribution is Mandrake 8.0, running on a S3 Virge GX, mesa and sdl were the only up-to-date things at that time.Tutorials tried were: Masking, Loading MD2s(didn''t bother with the rest). BTW, i''m having trouble posting here with Opera 7.0 Don''t you _EVER_ RTFM me!

JTippetts    12949
Hmmm... well, without the original error message, it''s pretty hard to answer a question like this.

It COULD be that your GLX module was not up-to-date enough. I''m running Mandrake 9.0, and I had to get all the NVidia modules(driver and GLX) from their website before I could get SDL to run on my machine.

Josh
vertexnormal AT linuxmail DOT org

Check out Golem at:
My cheapass website

clum    217
If you try accessing XWindows after becoming superuser (with ''su'') then you get the following message (unless, before running su, you type xhost +):
cannot connect to X server :0.0
Were you programming as root? That could be your problem. (BTW, don''t ever program as root).

666_1337    122
quote:
Original post by clum
If you try accessing XWindows after becoming superuser (with ''su'') then you get the following message (unless, before running su, you type xhost +):
cannot connect to X server :0.0
Were you programming as root? That could be your problem. (BTW, don''t ever program as root).

i ALLWAYS program as root. there are a number of things that will run only if you are root... and the message BobTech is getting is probably the same i get sometimes... (i also don''t remember exactly, but there was a 0.0 in it...). i have a geforce 4 and the latest detonator. allways whem i get this message i have to __remount__ the video driver with "opengl-update nvidia". you can also do this with the switch2*glx-command. maybe that helps.

666_1337    122
uh... s3 virge? you surely use dri, do you? you should check that the dri module is loaded at xfree''s startup (/etc/X11/XF86config, section modules)