Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

c++ libraries

This topic is 5237 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have just about got to grips with the basics of c++ but one thing that puzzles me is how do people learn about all these functions that you can use from various libraries like iomanip ,time.h ,stdlib.h ,math.h I have looked through the files of MSVC++ and found a folder called include which contained all the folders of the various libraries but when i clicked on say time.h it didnt give me any clues of how to use the various functions. Basicly i want to know how to find all the functions out of all the libraries and be able to use them. Surely its not just word of mouth . Thanks for any information [edited by - Mark Sandles on August 14, 2003 7:01:04 PM] [edited by - Mark Sandles on August 14, 2003 7:02:45 PM] [edited by - Mark Sandles on August 14, 2003 7:03:34 PM]

My method is to learn the sorts of things that are available. Then, when I come to a problem, I''ll recall this sort of thing being available, then I''ll go read enough documentation to solve the problem at hand. Eventually, I even memorize the important bits simply through repetition.

Now, how do you learn what sorts of things are available? From the documentation of the libraries. For the standard C++ libraries, I like www.dinkumware.com. For win32 I use msdn.microsoft.com. www.google.com is a great source for looking to see what''s available (if you''ve got a problem that seems appropriate for a library, check google and you may find what you need).

most libraries will come with some documentation. In the case of the standard C/C++ libraries, try here

edit - beat me to it. I'll have to check out dinkumware...

[edited by - lilFernie on August 14, 2003 7:19:51 PM]