render to cubemap textures?

Started by
3 comments, last by mictian 20 years, 8 months ago
is it feasible to render to five or six textres each frame, then pass these to opengl for cubemapping? i intend to make a demo in which some particles are reflected in some metaballs, and hence my plan was to render the particles to six textures, from six different angles, then use these for cubemapping the metaball
¿We Create World?
Advertisement
Depends on what your aiming for.
A tip is to update the cubemaps every second frame or so. The result will usually be satisfying anyway.

/__fold
You could also try updating just 2 or 3 of the cubemap faces every frame instead of 6 every other frame. Helps to keep frame rate more consistent and avoid big spikes if you try to update the whole cubemap in one go.

Cheers
Rendring one CM per frame will not kill your performance. Just keep resolution small enough and you''ll be fine.

_MrC_ : this might be a good idea but you can get into alot of trouble since you need to keep history of just about everything in scene for a few frames. Is it realy worth it?

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
I don''t bother keeping any sort of history, I just render using the current state of the scene into 2 faces of the cubemap every frame. Obviously there are going to be inaccuries at the edges where different frames meet up on the cubemap but nobody has noticed yet.

Cheers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement