How do I do this texturing, Picture supplied

Started by
2 comments, last by theZapper 20 years, 8 months ago
I want to be able to just tile a single texture over a landscape, but on other areas like raised ground and ditches, put a different texture on. I.e. the hill in the picture where the texture changes from rock to the grass. I realise this is most likely multitexturing, (which I don’t need explaining), but how do you set up the texture coordinates to tile the green over a large area, AND get a ragged faded edge where they meet. Thanks EDIT: Finally, got picture to work! --- When I'm in command, every mission's a suicide mission! [edited by - theZapper on August 15, 2003 6:19:54 AM]
---When I'm in command, every mission's a suicide mission!
Advertisement
You could take two textures, grass and rock (more would surely look better). Then put them into their respective places. The areas where they meet you could use multitexturing in combination with blending to blend the textures smoothly into one another.
I guess you could put a third texture as a sort of alpha map on top of that with ragged edges, so it won''t look too smooth.
How do I set my laser printer on stun?
The old fashoined way:

Create one texture that you stretch over the terrain which has all the different textures in it already. You can do this manually, but there are some programs for it as well. Just insert your heightmap, insert a few base textures and in calculates the final texture for you. Ususally these programs also apply lighting based on the sun''s position. When rendering, you combine this stretched terrain texture with a tiled detail texture (multitexturing). Google for ''terrain texture generator''. Flipcode.com also has an article about it.

There is another way but i''m not sure how it works. Just what it is called. Google for ''texture splatting''.

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap Posting
To join: Put these lines in your signature and don''t post crap!

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Thanks you two, I''d heard of Texture Splatting, I''ll take a look.

---
When I''m in command, every mission''s a suicide mission!
---When I'm in command, every mission's a suicide mission!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement