Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

demo for job app

This topic is 5194 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently working on a car demo for job app. Any opinions are welcome www.metu.edu.tr/~e112358/carcode.zip Edit1: After some holiday I've updated my demo. I want to know how you it looks. is it enough? The updates: - Terrain rendering is now continious - Tiremarks added. - Smokes(dust) from tires added. - Some basic particle system added. Some kind of waterfall is shown. - Projective stencil shadows added however it consumes too mush fps and I replaced it by a rectangular shadow. I am still searching for a better one. - Now much of the input geometry is entered from text files(test.txt, audiprop.txt). You can add some spheres. - Collision detection added.( I took it elsewhere) But there is still some problems. I am working for it. [edited by - beehorf on September 19, 2003 1:51:30 PM] [edited by - beehorf on September 19, 2003 1:52:31 PM]

WOW! Excellent demo beehorf! The car physics are super, and it's great fun just cruising around as it feels just right. There are some cool features too, such as wireframe mode and all the camera angles.

Good luck with the job

[edited by - chacha on August 15, 2003 11:44:09 AM]

quote:
Original post by emreture
çok iyi yaaa!!!!

keep up the good work

============================================0

What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

sweet quote from "Gladiator"

but wow!!! great job!!!

no theory`

Thank you.
Do you think this will be enough for a job?
I live in Turkey(no perm or temp visa for any country)
and I think I have to put much more to get rid of this disadvantage.

I am still working on the demo.
Do you have any ideas that can be added to this demo?
I am thinking of adding cubes, spheres to the world with
all of these objects interacting each other.
Also I want to improve
my terrain but all of them needs lots of reading.

Thanks for your responses...

I don''t know.

The car physics are pretty good, but is it custom, or are you using a physics library (like ODE) ? In which case it''s an "ok" small demo, but nothing impressive either.

What kind of job are you looking for ? The graphics could need some work IMO.

Y.

Nice job!

Right now you should add some sound and particle effects (eg tyre smoke) a bigger playing area (with a perimeter fence!) and maybe a couple of buildings. It's a shame I couldn't collide with the other car. Either add car-to-car collisions or remove the it from the demo, because it makes it feel incomplete.

For the final touches, I always like attention to detail. Place an aeroplane in the sky flying around, add a check-point to check-point race mode and some background music.

I'm impressed tho, keep up the good work, and good luck with the job hunting

edit -- Ok I found the buildings, but fix the collision detection.

[edited by - matibee on August 16, 2003 5:51:57 AM]

The demo run very well and looks quite good but for a cv you would need to disclose the source. As good as the demo is they need to see your coding style, solutions and if you have used any third party tools. For this reason you should not make a demo that you are not prepared to show how you did it. This is my experience anyway. A few minor points, the reverse speed should be increased. You need to add collision with buildings. The terrain could be made a bt more interesting than a "chessboard" even though that is just cosmetics. You should also try and make sure the trees don''t end up in the middle of the road (gives a more professional look that you actually though about that).

It took a little time to make some updates to the demo.
Also I took two weeks of holiday

The updates I've made

- Terrain rendering is now continious
- Tiremarks added.
- Smokes(dust) from tires added.
- Some basic particle system added. Some kind of waterfall is shown.
- Projective stencil shadows added however it consumes too mush fps and I replaced it by a rectangular shadow. I am still searching for a better one.
- Now much of the input geometry is entered from text files(test.txt, audiprop.txt). You can add some spheres.
- Collision detection added.( I took it elsewhere) But there is still some problems. I am working for it.

I also disclosure the source code.

You can download from www.metu.edu.tr/~e112358/carcode.zip

Please download and test my program. Also I want to know how these addition effect the fps.

Also I want to know if this demo is enough to effect an employer.
Be merciless in your critics.

be yourself.

[edited by - beehorf on September 18, 2003 7:22:59 AM]

[edited by - beehorf on September 18, 2003 8:56:45 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
ah...thanks, just what i was looking for....the source code to a demo that I can pass as my own for my next interview.

Thanks buddy, keep up the good work!

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
ah...thanks, just what i was looking for....the source code to a demo that I can pass as my own for my next interview.

Asshole?

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Nervo
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

Asshole?

No...just trying to make a point...

This is one cool demo, I love that there isn''t a speed limit on the car, juming at 500km/h is very cool. :-)

There is some problems with the collistion check with the other car, but it shouldn''t be a problem for a demo.
If it will be enough is more a question about how much of it that you did yourself and how much you have copied, not that it is a bad thing to copy good code, but for a demo where you are trying to show what you know, most things should be made by yourself.

quote:
Original post by mwittstrom
This is one cool demo, I love that there isn''t a speed limit on the car, juming at 500km/h is very cool. :-)

There is some problems with the collistion check with the other car, but it shouldn''t be a problem for a demo.
If it will be enough is more a question about how much of it that you did yourself and how much you have copied, not that it is a bad thing to copy good code, but for a demo where you are trying to show what you know, most things should be made by yourself.

Valid point, but today you don''t always create things from scratch.

It is also important to understand other people''s code, and to understand how to incoporate 3rd party APIs/SDKs into existing applications.

If he copied (hypothetically speaking): The fact that he is able to SUCCESSFULLY mold existing code into a work of his ideas like this car game shows enough that he can understand existing concepts. Also he is not re-inventing the wheel so he can actually get a full project completed...

just my 2 cents though...

www.cppnow.com

quote:
Original post by superdeveloper
quote:
Original post by mwittstrom

Valid point, but today you don''t always create things from scratch.

It is also important to understand other people''s code, and to understand how to incoporate 3rd party APIs/SDKs into existing applications.

If he copied (hypothetically speaking): The fact that he is able to SUCCESSFULLY mold existing code into a work of his ideas like this car game shows enough that he can understand existing concepts. Also he is not re-inventing the wheel so he can actually get a full project completed...

just my 2 cents though...

www.cppnow.com

I agree, understanding APIs, SDKs and other people''s code is very importent, just as long as it is clearly marked in his source code what he made himself and what he have copied, since this is a demo about what he can do.

I would recommend you to write down what parts of the demo that you have done and what APIs and SDKs you have used. Dosen''t have to be much, but it will help the person that you send this demo to. And don''t forget to comment your code, that is importent.

I think this demo is good enough to send out, since you are looking for a job as a programmer and not as a graphic designer.

I''ve only take the collision detection with the car and the sphere elsewhere(which partially works). Collisions with terrain and trees are written by me.

quote:

I''ve disabled the rolling resistance and air drag forces to debug the physics well. I forgot to enable.

be yourself.

Awesome demo man, would you mind reuploading the source, or at least sending it to me? I have no intentions to steal it whatsoever, I''ve just been wanting to look at the source code for some decent car physics for a long time.