demo for job app

Started by
31 comments, last by beehorf 20 years, 7 months ago
Nice job!

Right now you should add some sound and particle effects (eg tyre smoke) a bigger playing area (with a perimeter fence!) and maybe a couple of buildings. It's a shame I couldn't collide with the other car. Either add car-to-car collisions or remove the it from the demo, because it makes it feel incomplete.

For the final touches, I always like attention to detail. Place an aeroplane in the sky flying around, add a check-point to check-point race mode and some background music.

I'm impressed tho, keep up the good work, and good luck with the job hunting

edit -- Ok I found the buildings, but fix the collision detection.

[edited by - matibee on August 16, 2003 5:51:57 AM]
Advertisement
That''s great fun!

Just one tiny little suggestion - increase the reversing speed. It''s not fast enough to do a J-turn
The demo run very well and looks quite good but for a cv you would need to disclose the source. As good as the demo is they need to see your coding style, solutions and if you have used any third party tools. For this reason you should not make a demo that you are not prepared to show how you did it. This is my experience anyway. A few minor points, the reverse speed should be increased. You need to add collision with buildings. The terrain could be made a bt more interesting than a "chessboard" even though that is just cosmetics. You should also try and make sure the trees don''t end up in the middle of the road (gives a more professional look that you actually though about that).

No no no no! :)
That''s great beehorf! The only things I can think of have already been mentioned. Good luck with the job!
Looks and feels very nice!

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
It took a little time to make some updates to the demo.
Also I took two weeks of holiday

The updates I've made

- Terrain rendering is now continious
- Tiremarks added.
- Smokes(dust) from tires added.
- Some basic particle system added. Some kind of waterfall is shown.
- Projective stencil shadows added however it consumes too mush fps and I replaced it by a rectangular shadow. I am still searching for a better one.
- Now much of the input geometry is entered from text files(test.txt, audiprop.txt). You can add some spheres.
- Collision detection added.( I took it elsewhere) But there is still some problems. I am working for it.

I also disclosure the source code.

You can download from www.metu.edu.tr/~e112358/carcode.zip

Please download and test my program. Also I want to know how these addition effect the fps.

Also I want to know if this demo is enough to effect an employer.
Be merciless in your critics.

be yourself.

[edited by - beehorf on September 18, 2003 7:22:59 AM]

[edited by - beehorf on September 18, 2003 8:56:45 AM]
be yourself.
ah...thanks, just what i was looking for....the source code to a demo that I can pass as my own for my next interview.

Thanks buddy, keep up the good work!
May be you''re right. i''ll remove the code.

be yourself.
be yourself.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
ah...thanks, just what i was looking for....the source code to a demo that I can pass as my own for my next interview.

Asshole?
Well, R2D22U2..
quote:Original post by Nervo
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

Asshole?

No...just trying to make a point...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement