eXtreme Programming - a cult?

Started by
15 comments, last by rohde 20 years, 8 months ago
XP is stupid linux cult fagot fanboy idea. If you like linux kerneling, retarded programming languages like brainfuck, singletons and other retarded crap people get obsessed of then xp might be for you.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, you have to be really loud about it and wander around internet programming forums and attack people who don't share same ideology, because IT IS THE ONLY WAY!

I guess their ideas are close to fundie christian ones. You have to bound yourself to stupidity through ideology and interpreting the way you want it to be interpreted.

Also, it would be appropriate to say here M$ SUXORZ OMG STOP MAEKING MONIES AND FIX UR PROGRAMMES! FAGORTS!

[edited by - Captain Goatse on August 15, 2003 9:57:33 AM]
Advertisement
The only person I know who uses XP was my boss.

The strange thing was that, most of the time, it was a one-man company. Sometimes two.

He had a strange sort of wisdom. One that said to avoid functions where possible, because they make debugging more difficult (you have to step into them).

Cédric
What are you talking about? Goatse, everything should be a singleton if you think about it! After all it is a design pattern and the more of those we have the better the program is!
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
XP++
If that wasn''t THE stupidest thing I ever read its pretty damn close. Extreme programming is a cult because people get obsessed with it? So what your saying is sports are cults too? Oh and mmorpgs they cause suicide. Lets not forget the tv!

Extreme programming is way too impractical as far as I''ve seen. It may be an interesting way to start a project ( minus the customer requirement off the bat ), but otherwise it''s like slamming all of the things that should be going on in a development group, in a general sense, into management-happy processes.

I think watered-down abstractions of extreme programming are much easier to make work.. or ''A little less extreme programming'' tactics.

.zfod
Hehe, thanks. That was an amusing read.

While I wouldn''t consider XP to be a cult-like activity, I have actually become a bit frustrated lately by what feels like an increasing movement towards a calculated lack of planning in the places I''ve worked. And sadly, I do think some of this falls from the XP notion.

For some reason, the idea of "re-factoring" seems to make a lot of people seemed justified in spending little to no time in planning things out. Which turns into the mindset of what I like to call the "If we don''t spend time planning it now, we''ll have more time to re-do it later" method.

To me, everything is just a strategy, including many of the XP practices. Sometimes, for a small project or for one where you have very little knowledge of what you''ll be tackling, it really does make the most sense to jump right in, and then stop at some point along the way and figure out where you''re really going and what it''ll take to get there. Other times, though, if you DO know a good deal about the problem domain your trying to solve it makes infitely more sense to figure out as much of it as you can beforehand. Sometimes it helps to get input from other people as you work along, if it''s something that''s not straight-forward. Other times, it''s best to crank along on your own if you know what you''re doing.

Everything in moderation, I guess. I think that''s the key.

-John
- John

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement