Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ejaz

Password Protected Session for p2p worked but partially, how to get it done properly?

Ejaz    122
Hi, I''m trying to create a p2p connection with password protection. As the SDK states, I did the same, and the good thing is, it worked. Fine, but then I figure out one more issue. Actually, if I supply correct password while setting the application desc. of host & peers, then everything goes as it is suppose to be, BUT, if I provide incorrect passwords for host & peers, while establishing the connection, the connection to the host won''t get established, but the return value of the IDirectPlay8Peer::Connect(...) is the same as it is in case of unique passowrds for host & peers. So, now the problem for me, if the connection got successfully established I greet the users, fine, but if the user won''t get connected properly, first I get the welcome message (becoz I receive same value for SUCCESSED(hr) in return), then no communication get done b/w the peers. Any solution for this problem will be highly appriciated & thanx in advance. Regards, Ejaz.

cbenoi1    484
> the return value of the IDirectPlay8Peer::Connect(...) is the same

It means the code executed correctly and the connection request has been posted (assuming async ops). You will receive later the message DPN_MSGID_CONNECT_COMPLETE with the actual error code and other connection info if any. That can take from a few milliseconds on a local net when connection occurs, to a few seconds when the remote machine is down.

-cb

Ejaz    122
So, The saviour is here, thanx for the respone dear cbenoi1.

Ok so I guess what I should do now is, implement DPN_MSGID_CONNECT_COMPLETE in the direct play message handler and in case of IDirectPlay8Peer::Connect(...), when I get success signal, I just display some message that the connection established but verification is in process.

After that, when the DPN_MSGID_CONNECT_COMPLETE will be signals, if everything goes fine, then I dispaly connection established successfully message and if it didn''t get established, then I post another message about the error that might occur (most probably it will be invalid password for the session to connect).

So, what do u suggest cbenoi1, am I on the right track or should I change the implementation in some other way.

And thanx again for ur reply. It really clear many doubts.

Regards,

Ejaz.

cbenoi1    484
You could pop a modeless dialog box with a some text indicating that connection is in progress, some timer with elapsed time (using WM_TIMER), and a ''Cancel'' button. You did get a DPNHANDLE with the Connect() call, so you can use it to cancel the connection request (using CancelOperation() ) if the user become too impatient.

> The saviour is here

I had the same problems you''re having 6 - 9 months ago. At the pace you''re hitting the bumps, you''ll catch me by December and by then I''ll be the one asking the questions!

-cb

Ejaz    122
> you''ll catch me by December

December is too far away and I guess u''ll move much ahead. Thanx for the suggestion anyways dear.

Regards,

Ejaz.