Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deryk

metaball display problems

hi. i''m currently working on a metaball demo using an orthographic projection mode. everything looks fine except that i''d rather use a perspective approach. i tried using gluPerspective, but what happens is my other figures appear correctly (walls, floors, etc) but the metaballs themselves are generally invisible and only appear at certain angles of rotation when i rotate the whole scene, and even then, the flicker A LOT. any way to fix this? thanks!

(I´m new to this opengl thingy so don´t kill me if I´m wrong.)Have you tried switched backface culling off?

EDIT: Although that wouldn´t help jack if you´r metaballs are complete spheres. Sorry!

[edited by - shakazed on August 16, 2003 2:54:20 AM]

anyone know how to properly texture map a metaball? i''d love the help. i currently have a 256x256 .bmp file that i want to apply to a metaball. thanks!

anyone on the display problem? the other polygons come out just fine..its the metaballs that are the problem. they come out only at certain points of rotation and even then are really flickery.

thanks!

Hi Deryk,

Double check your metaball surface construction code for normal inconsistencies.
Make sure it''s not dependent on the global matrices (unless you need it to be, of course).

If generated correctly, the already-calculated surface should behave as any other geometry regarding flicker (it''s just a polygon array, or a mesh).