• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chbfiv

<-Sick of terrain that looks like hills

This topic is 5396 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So here is my idea so far; and btw, I really do want your suggestions and comments. -Tile "based" terrain -reads png format to use as heightmap -base tiles have a snap to grid effect. modeled objects can be snapped onto the terrain, and such, the terrain morphs(or connects to the new terrain object. For example, a mountain with caves; this mountain would be made up of so and so tiles, all tiles outside of this area connect to the mountain, while the tiles under the mountain are unloaded. This would create a seamless terrain with an artistic feel. -The mountain itself would be made up of blocks, lego''s, that can be snapped to other blocks if they agree with each other. This can help with Dny, lighting, pathfinding for AI, and zoneless effect.

Advertisement
I believe dungeon siege use that system. Not 100% sure but it looked like that when I saw screenshots from the editor.

Are you talking about something similar to what Snook does in Game Programming Gems 2? That terrain system is pretty cool, considering it has LOD and such.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

Guest Anonymous Poster
didnt get the "ego''s, that can be snapped to other blocks if they agree with each other."
care to explain?

If it's what I'm thinking of, I'll try to explain it.

When you have a tile thats low resolution and the neighboring tile is high resolution, the tiles must accommodate that. So you premake 16 different tile patterns (Out of indices) that would allow you to weld them together. If you didn't have them, there would be seams in between the tiles.

For Instance:

----------
|\--------/|
| |
| |
| |
----------

That tile would indicate only a low resolution tile can be placed on top of it. (Northern neighboring, not actually on top) The big blank space would be a transition giong to high resolution.

Heres a better picture of what I'm talking about:

-------
|\ /|
| \ / |
| + | LO RES TILE
| / | \ |
|/ | \|
------- \(Notice edges match each other)
------- /
|\ / \ /| (After the first strip, the tile is subdivided)
| ----- |
||\|\|\|| HI RES TILE
|-------|
||\|\|\||
-------

EDIT:
Remember, the tiles are indices. They tell what vertices to draw or discard. Of course theres a lot more to it than just subdividing and tiling, but thats a basic (Bad) run down.

I hope I explained that good enough?

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

[edited by - UltimaX on August 16, 2003 3:44:13 PM]

Just an idea - why not use different colour channels for multi-level terrain heightmaps? (or different maps altogether for simplicity). Where the heights overlap, the terrain joins together. This would allow for some very complex cave systems and so forth for relatively little processor time.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!