To Paul Cunningham

Started by
45 comments, last by DarkMage139 23 years, 9 months ago
Judging from your post I''d think that the can you just opened was full of smiley faces. :p

I don''t think dimensions really have an order. We experience 3 of them as "space", and at least one as "time". but who''s to say which one comes first? They all exist at once, together, with no specific order.

About the overlapping thing, I don''t think that''s how it works (at least we have no evidence to support that theory). Think of an X,Y graph. two points can be at the same height(y) without overlapping, because they have different x values. I can sit in a chair, and then you can sit in the chair, because while we have the same positions in 3D space, we have different positions in time. In order to get in each other''s way, we have to be at the same position in the x, y, z, *and* time dimensions. If the other dimensions work similarly, then we only have to worry about whatever is in our little slices of those dimensions. The whole history of time and space could be totally different a "foot" away in another dimension, but it wouldn''t affect us. In fiction people sometimes call alternate worlds other dimensions, but they really mean another point in one of the dimensions we don''t quite know about yet.
Advertisement
Humm.. so what does something look like that has height x width x time?

J
Uhhhhhhhhhh,.... ?
Well the concept of time has one major flaw...

You can never get from one second to another because mathematically there is an infinite amount of split milli/micro/nano/etc seconds between each second of the clockhand! But then again, maybe we should be basing mathematics off the concept of time. i.e. circular maths not linear maths! This would make a lot more sence to me.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Time is something we made up. So technically, it can''t be a dimension.
But when you walk, you move through infinately smaller parts of distance, as well. There''s feet, inches, milimeters, etc etc. The theory that states that if you travel half the distance each time whiel approaching something, then you will never reach that something because you can never truely hit a whole by only going half. You would get infinately closer to a whole, so close it might seem like a whole, but yet, it is not a whole.

So our perception of things on a certain level is relative to our size. Same goes with time, we''ve defined it relative to us. And that''s how things should be. I mean, heck.. i went to the Hayden planetarium in the meuseam of natural history in NY, and it had a relative sizes exhibit. Started at like 1^25 and went down to like -12 exponent. Each one compared the size of the planetarium, which was a ball shape, to the size of something else. One example is "if the planetarium was the sun, this would be the earth" and they''d have like a tiny ball there in front of you. And it steps down, the next was "if the planetarium is the earth, then this is.." and on down the line. it started with like the ball being the known universe, and this bein our supercluster, then galazy, then solar system, etc etc. I never realized mars is so much smaller than earth

J
My head hurts.

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.
- DarkMage139
quote:Original post by DarkMage139

My head hurts.

No, me hurts in head.. Ouch :-) Me must stop thinking too hard, yes, pain go away now.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement