Best fitting Line

Started by
2 comments, last by Corrail 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi all! I''m searching for an algorithm for calculating the best fitting line (in 3D) of a couple of points. Any hints? Thanks a lot -------------------------------------------------------- "If it looks good, it is good computer graphics" "If it looks like computer graphics, it is bad computer graphics" Corrail corrail@gmx.at ICQ#59184081
--------------------------------------------------------There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened...
Advertisement
Umm... could you be more specific (I can''t understand your wording). Do you mean, you have two points and you want to define a line (a vector) between them and find its length?
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
I believe he''s referring to best-fit lines like those used in chart-plotting programs to show a trend. I''m pretty sure the way they do it is by taking the average of the slopes of adjacent points.
My fellow Americans I have just signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever. Bombing will commence in five minutes.
Actually, what you''re looking for is called Linear Regression. You can easily adapt the method for 3D.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement