• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Display lists improve perfromance?

This topic is 5270 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Yes, they both improve performance. But of course, it also depends on what you compare it with.

hi,

when u create a display list and draw some geometry within it ,the code is precompiled and during execution time vertices are not repeatedly sent to the 3d hardware and hence the performance in improved. for very small geometry the difference might not be seen but for huge geometry where there are thousands of polygons ,the difference will be significant.

however there are certain opengl commands that cannot be used within a display list.

triangle strips can be used within a display list.

quote:
Original post by Raduprv
I don''t know about other vendors implementation, but on Nvidia vertex arrays is faster than display lists. And more flexible, of course.

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory

I will agree with you on that. I have a Radeon 9700 Pro and vertex arrays are a lot faster than display lists for me. I went from 22fps using multitexturing with display lists to 85fps using vertex arrays and multitexturing. So ATI is with Nvidia on the vertex arrays are faster.

Without using extensions, I''ve found vertex arrays to be the fastest method, with little or no benefit from using display lists with them. However, when I switched to VBO, the framerate for my terrain engine increased by a factor of 2, which was nice.

Could you briefly tell me the commands used for these vertex arrays. It seems to me there are several ways to use vertex buffers in OpenGL, all different and varying wildly in performance. I don't need a description how to use them, just a pointer as to what I should be using.
Thanks

(edit: I'm assuming for the moment, you mean these - http://www.opengl.org/developers/documentation/OGL_userguide/OpenGLonWin-15.html#MARKER-9-48 - but I have a nagging suspicion that these aren't the ones)

[edited by - dbx on August 17, 2003 6:30:57 AM]

• Advertisement