• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saikura

Shopping For Books

This topic is 5570 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, everyone. I am new to these boards, this is my first post. A little while back, I went shopping for C++ and Game Programming Books that utilized C++ as their base language. I picked up a few books from the local Waldenbooks [Not a large selection of computer programming books. 95% of the books in the computer section are part of the "______ for Idiots" series ("SAMS Teach Yourself C++ In 24 Hours", "SAMS Teach Yourself Game Programming", and "C++ In Plain English"). I want to start into programming more advanced games and break a few bad habits (iostream.h anybody?). I''ve been looking at either "Strategy Game Programming with DirectX 9" or "Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX", but I sought your advice on the following part. What (if any) books should I pick up before purchasing and attempting Strategy Game / RPG programming with DirectX? Should I pick up a Data Structure book like "Data Structures for Game Programmers"? Or should I go through another C++ book to improve my C++ further than what "SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours" did? Thanks for your assistance, I hope to hear from you soon.

Advertisement
Well, I would think that even "SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours" would have taught you most if not all of what c++ has to offer. The only way you are going to improve in this region is to do a lot of coding and such. You should definitely learn data structures and algorithms, but I couldn''t tell you what book is the best for that.
So yes, I''m not a big advocate of buying masses of books, I think that there is a wealth of information on the Internet (you just have to find it).

After that book is read, and you have gotten all of those concepts, I would suggest picking up some good references, like "The C++ Programming Language" is a very good reference. Also doing lots of coding will help more than any one book will, but sometimes you just need a reference to see how something works.

That SAMS book should have taught you most of what you can do with c++, but now you need to know how to use it effectively. I would highly recommend you to read these books:

Effective C++ by Scott Meyers
More Effective C++ by Scott Meyers

You can buy both of these excellent books together on the one CD, check out amazon for details.

C++ In Plain English is actually very good, except that it''s not pure C++. It''s not a "after you''ve read this book once you''ll never need it again" book. The title merely means that the explanations aren''t obscure, which is pretty much correct. It doesn''t go into STL though, which is a bit of a bugger.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!