Game engine for java.

Started by
7 comments, last by Badmi 20 years, 8 months ago
Can you pleas recimend a good game engine for java. I tride uwsing a serch engine but I coud not find a good one.
Advertisement
correct spelling would be nice .
I eat heart attacks
I have a spelling checker,
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too pleas.

-Jerrold H. Zar

[edited by - Raloth on August 15, 2003 6:26:33 PM]
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
*weep* never stated better. That was beautiful. Fuckin' beautiful.

EDIT: Now OP, i wasn't taking a shot at you, i'm just saying that the poem was cool.

[edited by - Cipher3D on August 15, 2003 6:34:20 PM]
I eat heart attacks
Anyway, poetry aside , what kind of engine are you looking for? A high quality 3D engine doesn't exist, at least not a freely available one.

For 2D you've got GAGE (http://java.dnsalias.com/) and GameFrame(http://www.gamedev.net/hosted/javanerd/). GAGE is still actively developed, GameFrame hasn't seen an update in just about two years (Java's changed a lot in that time).

Those are the only ones I know of. For libraries and such to make your own engine, you've got several good choices.

Java2D: high level graphics API with lots of good stuff (a lot of it too slow for games however). Currently only accelerated on Windows, it's looking really likely it will be accelerated on Unix with OpenGL for Java 1.5. Already a part of your Java SDK.

JOGL, JOAL, JInput: OpenGL, OpenAL and input libraries respectively (http://javagaming.org).

LWJGL: OpenGL, OpenAL and Input all rolled into one library (http://java-game-lib.sf.net). I've not used it myself but it looks mighty tasty and most likely will for my next game

Java3D: high level scenegraph library for Java that I know zilch about

Xith3D: another scenegraph library for Java that uses JOGL, I also know zilch about it.

[edited by - tortoise on August 15, 2003 7:55:31 PM]
I don't know about GAGE (or Xith either) but its true none of the other resources you mentioned are 'game engines'. They are all gfx API's, some are Sun's and some are independant/opensource. As most people know gfx are only 50%-25% of a game (or less if you count the ratio of actual gfx function calls to total lines of code).

The term 'game engine' itself is quite nebulous, but to my knowledge there are no java game engines out there. I'm working on a class library right now thats focused on 2d scrolling style games in AWT with a primitive scripting language. The way I'm coding though it will be trivial to convert the classes to C++ and Allegro.

[edited by - nonnus29 on August 15, 2003 10:07:45 PM]
quote:Original post by nonnus29
but its true none of the other resources you mentioned are ''game engines''.

Which is why I said "Those are the only ones I know of. For libraries and such to make your own engine, you''ve got several good choices."

Java as a gaming language is still quite young, there aren''t many "engines" out there.
if you''re looking for speed, java isn''t the best idea...but if you''re trying to make a distributed internet multiplatform game..java might work, but a blazing-fast 3d game won''t be feasible....

If you''re looking for speed, go something like C++, etc. Now people may say C++ can be slow because of bad algorithms..etc the usual but I meant if you port a java game to C++ the C++ version is faster..

anyways, yeah. just my thoughts.
I eat heart attacks
I know, thats why I said ''its true...''

In fact there was primitive software rendered 3d engine on the cdrom to the book ''Black Art of Java Game Programming'' but thats been out of print for awhile..... It used AWT''s fillPolygon() iirc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement